Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.