Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Mac N Cheez Recipe
This uber creamy 20-minute vegan mac delivers the tang of sharp cheddar from a surprising source—sun-dried tomatoes! A few basil leaves add complexity to the flavors without making it taste “tomato basil-y.” I like to top it with hemp seeds for a little extra texture and nutrition, but that’s totally optional. Use chickpea or lentil pasta to make this mac ‘n cheez super healthy! Add a side of steamed green beans or broccoli for a complete meal.
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 2 cups small pasta shells
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, loosely packed
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6-7 small basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- â…› tsp red pepper flakes
- â…“ cup shelled hemp seeds (optional for added texture and nutrition)
- Salt and cracked pepper
1. Fill a small saucepan with 3 cups of water and a large saucepan with 8 cups of water. Put them both on high heat. Add the cashews to the small saucepan. (It's ok if it's not boiling yet.) Boil the cashews for 10 minutes until softened.
2. When the large pot of water is boiling, add the pasta shells and a pinch of salt to the pot. Boil according to package instructions but a bit longer than al dente. Drain.
3. When the cashews have two minutes left to boil, add the sun-dried tomatoes to the saucepan. Drain after two minutes. Reserve the water.
4. Add the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes to a high-powered blender, with 2 cups of the reserved water. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and blend on high until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Place drained pasta back on medium-high heat. Pour the cheese from the blender to the pan. Stir for 1-2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken into a gooey cheese, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan.
6. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and optional 1 tbsp hemp seeds on each portion.
Fresh tip! If using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, skip the boiling, put them straight into the blender, and use pre-soaked cashews to save even more time.
If you double this recipe, the cheese will need an extra minute or two to thicken while stirring, before adding the pasta.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Atlantic City Vegan Food Festival Returns This July
It’s going to be a hot vegan summer as New Jersey VegFest is making a comeback in Atlantic City!
Trader Joe’s Launches Spicy Vegan Pork Rinds
Bored of your current snack routine? Add Trader Joe’s Spicy Porkless Plant-Based Snack Rinds to your grazing rotation!
Vans Just Launched Its First Sustainable Vegan Sneaker Line
From old-school skaters to Gen Z teens, and everyone in between, we’ve all owned a pair of Vans at some point!
Jay-Z Invests in Plant-Based Chicken Nugget Company NUGGS
The future of vegan chicken nuggets is looking bright as Jay-Z is now backing this plant-based startup!
Ask the Dietitian: Bloating and Energy on a Vegan Diet
We get a lot of questions about cruelty-free nutrition from new plant-based eaters and longtime vegans alike. With the help of our sponsor, Sugarbreak, we’re addressing two trending nutrition topics—bloating and energy on a vegan diet.
The Body Shop Is Going 100% Vegan by 2023
This popular cosmetics company is transitioning to 100% vegan certified products!
Cafe Gratitude Returns to San Francisco with Limited-Time Pop-Up
The plant-based, feel-good powerhouse comes back to where it all began.
10 Must-Try Plant-Based Burger Joints in Los Angeles
These plant-based burger joints in Los Angeles are 100% vegan and 110% delicious! While it’s great that so many restaurants offer vegan-friendly options, it’s nice to take a break from modifying the heck out of menu items. At these all-vegan burger spots, you’ll go from saying, “Can I have the veggie burger without cheese or mayo?” to “Extra vegan ranch, double cheese, and add a milkshake for dessert!"
The Best Vegan Artisanal Cheese Brands
Our top fancy plant-based cheeses for vegan charcuterie boards and party snacks.
There’s a New Black-Owned Vegan Food Truck in Los Angeles
Vegan AF just hit the streets with loaded egg rolls, fries, and banana pudding!
Beauty Meets Sustainability: Introducing Spectacle Skin Care
Get glowing skin while reducing your carbon footprint with this sustainable skincare company!
10 Places to Get Vegan Ramen in Los Angeles
We’re obsessed with the vegan noods at these ramen spots in LA! Whether it’s 50, 75, or 100 degrees outside, a warm bowl of ramen is always the move. While the traditional Japanese dish is made with meat- or fish-based broth, there’s a wide variety of vegan options available. Here’s a list of some of our favorite plant-based ramen varieties around town.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!