Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Mac N Cheez Recipe
This uber creamy 20-minute vegan mac delivers the tang of sharp cheddar from a surprising source—sun-dried tomatoes! A few basil leaves add complexity to the flavors without making it taste “tomato basil-y.” I like to top it with hemp seeds for a little extra texture and nutrition, but that’s totally optional. Use chickpea or lentil pasta to make this mac ‘n cheez super healthy! Add a side of steamed green beans or broccoli for a complete meal.
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 2 cups small pasta shells
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, loosely packed
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6-7 small basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- â…› tsp red pepper flakes
- â…“ cup shelled hemp seeds (optional for added texture and nutrition)
- Salt and cracked pepper
1. Fill a small saucepan with 3 cups of water and a large saucepan with 8 cups of water. Put them both on high heat. Add the cashews to the small saucepan. (It's ok if it's not boiling yet.) Boil the cashews for 10 minutes until softened.
2. When the large pot of water is boiling, add the pasta shells and a pinch of salt to the pot. Boil according to package instructions but a bit longer than al dente. Drain.
3. When the cashews have two minutes left to boil, add the sun-dried tomatoes to the saucepan. Drain after two minutes. Reserve the water.
4. Add the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes to a high-powered blender, with 2 cups of the reserved water. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and blend on high until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Place drained pasta back on medium-high heat. Pour the cheese from the blender to the pan. Stir for 1-2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken into a gooey cheese, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan.
6. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and optional 1 tbsp hemp seeds on each portion.
Fresh tip! If using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, skip the boiling, put them straight into the blender, and use pre-soaked cashews to save even more time.
If you double this recipe, the cheese will need an extra minute or two to thicken while stirring, before adding the pasta.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Meal Delivery Services to Try in 2022
These meal delivery companies have everything you need to get the new year started on a healthy note.
Selling Sunset Star Emma Leigh Hernan Launches Frozen Vegan Empanada Brand
This new plant-based frozen food company has snacktime covered.
5 Vegan Honey Brands to Try
Life is sweet with these cruelty-free, vegan honey alternatives.
Unbelievably Vegan: An Interview with Charity Morgan
This celebrity chef is dishing up details about her family’s transition to a plant-based lifestyle and sharing tidbits from her new cookbook, Unbelievably Vegan.
14 Best Vegan Protein Bars
These plant-based protein bars will unite gym rats and busy bees alike!
Former Starbucks Executive Joins Plant Power Fast Food
The rapidly expanding fast-food chain names Steve Figliola as new Chief Development Officer.
Wanderlust Creamery Is Scooping Ube and Pavlova Vegan Ice Cream Flavors This Month
Run, don’t walk to your nearest location to try these limited-edition flavors!
Copper Branch Launches Limited-Time Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich
The Canada-based restaurant chain will be the first Canadian restaurant to carry Atlas Monroe’s plant-based fried chicken.
Restaurants and Brands Offering Veganuary Specials Nationwide
Veganuary has never been easier with all of these specials!
Busting the Vegan Protein Myth Once and for All
Where do vegans get their protein? Glad you asked. We’ve got answers.
Try These Limited-Edition Vegan Items in Chicago This Veganuary
From salads and sushi to donuts and cinnamon rolls, there are many amazing vegan dishes to try this month.
Portland Vegan Pop-Up Mis Tacones to Open Brick-and-Mortar Next Month
The queer and Chicanx-owned vegan taqueria pop-up has been a part of the Portland food scene since 2016.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!