Vegan Dynamite Sushi Bowl Recipe
Before I went vegan, I would go crazy for dynamite sushi with unagi. These plant-based sushi bowls hit all the same notes, minus the eel, which has officially been added to the endangered species list. I opted to serve these as bowls to save time but they would make killer sushi rolls if you really want to go for it!
Servings: 2 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 8oz king oyster mushrooms (also called king trumpet mushrooms)
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 large cucumber)
- 1 avocado
Eel Sauce Marinade
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamari
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (12 g) organic sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) minced ginger
- Dash sriracha (¼ – ½ tsp)
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup (150 g) sushi rice
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (266 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (8 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced watermelon radish
- Pickled ginger
- Black sesame seeds
1. Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. When the rice is nearly finished, stir in the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix well, fluffing the rice with a fork. When the rice cooker turns off, remove the lid to let the rice cool a bit.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Slice the stems of the king oyster mushrooms into ½”-¾” (1.5 cm) rounds, like scallops. Roughly chop the caps until it resembles crab meat.
4. Add the “scallops” and “crab meat” to the marinade, stir to coat and set aside for 5 minutes. Slice the cucumbers in half, then cut them into ½” (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice the watermelon radish into thin matchsticks.
5. Put a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan with a slotted spoon, reserve the marinade. Try to keep the “scallops” on one side of the pan and the “crab meat” on the other.
6. Cook the “scallops” to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook the “crab meat” for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop the scallions. Mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl.
7. Add the chopped “crab meat” from the pan, mix well to make the vegan dynamite.
8. Divide the rice into 2-3 bowls, top each with a generous scoop of the dynamite mixture. Arrange the top with mushroom scallops, avocado, cucumber slices, and watermelon radish. Finish with a drizzle of eel sauce, pickled ginger, and black sesame seeds.
Fresh tip! If you can't find king oyster mushrooms (also called trumpet mushrooms) feel free to swap regular oyster mushrooms, lions mane, or any other very tender mushroom, sliced or chopped.
Some sriracha is not vegan! Check the label to be sure it's not made with fish.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
8 Easy Food Swaps to Make for Plastic-Free July
Grab those reusable bags, we’re going on a plastic-free food hunt!
This Pittsburgh Restaurant and Jazz Bar Is Now 100% Vegan
Con Alma is every vegan music-lover's dream!
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
Vegan Rainbow Treats That Ship Nationwide for Pride Month
Check out these delicious rainbow sweet treats and drinks that are celebrating Pride all month long!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!