Vegan Dynamite Sushi Bowl Recipe
Before I went vegan, I would go crazy for dynamite sushi with unagi. These plant-based sushi bowls hit all the same notes, minus the eel, which has officially been added to the endangered species list. I opted to serve these as bowls to save time but they would make killer sushi rolls if you really want to go for it!
Servings: 2 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 8oz king oyster mushrooms (also called king trumpet mushrooms)
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 large cucumber)
- 1 avocado
Eel Sauce Marinade
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamari
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (12 g) organic sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) minced ginger
- Dash sriracha (¼ – ½ tsp)
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup (150 g) sushi rice
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (266 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (8 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced watermelon radish
- Pickled ginger
- Black sesame seeds
1. Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. When the rice is nearly finished, stir in the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix well, fluffing the rice with a fork. When the rice cooker turns off, remove the lid to let the rice cool a bit.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Slice the stems of the king oyster mushrooms into ½”-¾” (1.5 cm) rounds, like scallops. Roughly chop the caps until it resembles crab meat.
4. Add the “scallops” and “crab meat” to the marinade, stir to coat and set aside for 5 minutes. Slice the cucumbers in half, then cut them into ½” (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice the watermelon radish into thin matchsticks.
5. Put a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan with a slotted spoon, reserve the marinade. Try to keep the “scallops” on one side of the pan and the “crab meat” on the other.
6. Cook the “scallops” to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook the “crab meat” for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop the scallions. Mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl.
7. Add the chopped “crab meat” from the pan, mix well to make the vegan dynamite.
8. Divide the rice into 2-3 bowls, top each with a generous scoop of the dynamite mixture. Arrange the top with mushroom scallops, avocado, cucumber slices, and watermelon radish. Finish with a drizzle of eel sauce, pickled ginger, and black sesame seeds.
Fresh tip! If you can't find king oyster mushrooms (also called trumpet mushrooms) feel free to swap regular oyster mushrooms, lions mane, or any other very tender mushroom, sliced or chopped.
Some sriracha is not vegan! Check the label to be sure it's not made with fish.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
This Plant-Based Comfort Food Brand Is Democratizing Access to Vegan Food
Have we mentioned how much we love Better Chew?
A Vegan Mediterranean Brasserie Opens in NYC Next Week
NYC vegan restaurant group City Roots Hospitality opens a fourth vegan eatery located in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood next week!
8 Essential Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants and Pop-Ups in Orlando You Need to Try
Welcome February with delicious food from these Southern icons.
25 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now (And Always)
Load up your kitchen with these stellar food and drink products!
5 Black-Owned Brands to Shop for Vegan Chocolate This Valentine’s Day
Support a great business and get your Valentine’s Day shopping done all in one!
Slutty Vegan Opens Its First College Campus Location at Georgia Tech
The vegan burger joint is set to open its first college campus location in their home city next month!
Smorgasburg LA’s Super Vegan Sunday Returns for 2023
The special event is back after a three-year hiatus with an exciting collab with LA Taco—to determine the best vegan taco in the city!
Afro-Vegan Society Kicks off Third Annual Veguary for Black History Month
Afro-Vegan Society launches their third annual Veguary campaign offering online support and community for those going vegan!
Vegan Valentine’s Day Treats in LA
From heart-shaped donuts and cakes to chocolate-covered strawberries and pretzels, this list covers it all!
The Best Juice Bars in Orlando, Florida
Beat the Florida heat with thirst-quenching juices, shots, and cleanses from these nine spots!
Unreal Deli Vegan Lunch Meat Launches at All Sprouts Locations
You can now find this vegan deli meat brand in the Sprouts deli section!
Where to Eat Vegan Valentine’s Day Dinner in LA
You’re bound to fall in love at these vegan restaurants!