Vegan Dynamite Sushi Bowl Recipe
Before I went vegan, I would go crazy for dynamite sushi with unagi. These plant-based sushi bowls hit all the same notes, minus the eel, which has officially been added to the endangered species list. I opted to serve these as bowls to save time but they would make killer sushi rolls if you really want to go for it!
Servings: 2 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 8oz king oyster mushrooms (also called king trumpet mushrooms)
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 large cucumber)
- 1 avocado
Eel Sauce Marinade
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamari
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (12 g) organic sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) minced ginger
- Dash sriracha (¼ – ½ tsp)
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup (150 g) sushi rice
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (266 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (8 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced watermelon radish
- Pickled ginger
- Black sesame seeds
1. Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. When the rice is nearly finished, stir in the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix well, fluffing the rice with a fork. When the rice cooker turns off, remove the lid to let the rice cool a bit.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Slice the stems of the king oyster mushrooms into ½”-¾” (1.5 cm) rounds, like scallops. Roughly chop the caps until it resembles crab meat.
4. Add the “scallops” and “crab meat” to the marinade, stir to coat and set aside for 5 minutes. Slice the cucumbers in half, then cut them into ½” (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice the watermelon radish into thin matchsticks.
5. Put a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan with a slotted spoon, reserve the marinade. Try to keep the “scallops” on one side of the pan and the “crab meat” on the other.
6. Cook the “scallops” to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook the “crab meat” for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop the scallions. Mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl.
7. Add the chopped “crab meat” from the pan, mix well to make the vegan dynamite.
8. Divide the rice into 2-3 bowls, top each with a generous scoop of the dynamite mixture. Arrange the top with mushroom scallops, avocado, cucumber slices, and watermelon radish. Finish with a drizzle of eel sauce, pickled ginger, and black sesame seeds.
Fresh tip! If you can't find king oyster mushrooms (also called trumpet mushrooms) feel free to swap regular oyster mushrooms, lions mane, or any other very tender mushroom, sliced or chopped.
Some sriracha is not vegan! Check the label to be sure it's not made with fish.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Pinky Cole, Owner of Slutty Vegan, Releases New Plant-Based Cookbook
Eat Plants, B*tch will be available for purchase in early summer 2022!
Afro-Vegan Society to Offer Free Plant-Based Education Program This February
Veguary is an online education campaign celebrating Black History Month and providing culturally relevant workshops, cooking demos, and more.
Maya’s Cookies Launches Black History Month Collection
The vegan cookie shop’s new collection is available now until February 28.
New Vegan Mexican Bakery Opens in LA for Pickup and Delivery
A new vegan Mexican bakery just opened in Woodland Hills, serving some of the finest authentic Mexican treats.
10 Vegan Bakeries That Ship Valentine’s Day Treats Nationwide
From giant heart-shaped cookies and pink cupcakes to full cakes and cake pops, this list has it all!
Introducing Jack & Annie’s: Building a Better Planet Bite by Bite
This company is crafting flavorful meat alternatives while also making a positive impact on communities in India, all through one mighty plant.
8 Vegan Fine-Dining Restaurants in Chicago
For an out-of-this world dining experience, stop by one of these Chicago hot spots where both the food and vibes are delightful!
Freebirds World Burrito Adds Vegan Chorizo to Menu
Abbot’s Butcher’s plant-based chorizo and Siete Family Foods’ grain-free tortillas are now available at all Freebirds locations.
Starbucks Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Frappuccinos
The bottled Frappuccinos are available in two new flavors and will be rolling out at retailers over the course of 2022.
The Best Body Lotions for Dry Winter Skin
Harsh winter weather calls for luxurious lotions!
An Interview with AFI’s Davey Havok
Lead singer of punk rock band AFI, Davey Havok is no stranger to veganism—having been vegan for over two decades. As part of the straight edge community in the 90s, he was heavily influenced by its members who also abstained from the use of animal products. In 2021, AFI released their new album, Bodies. We chatted with Havok to learn more about his music career and vegan lifestyle.
Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
These plant-based snacks are perfect for your game-day celebration!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!