Vegan Dynamite Sushi Bowl Recipe
Before I went vegan, I would go crazy for dynamite sushi with unagi. These plant-based sushi bowls hit all the same notes, minus the eel, which has officially been added to the endangered species list. I opted to serve these as bowls to save time but they would make killer sushi rolls if you really want to go for it!
Servings: 2 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 8oz king oyster mushrooms (also called king trumpet mushrooms)
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 large cucumber)
- 1 avocado
Eel Sauce Marinade
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamari
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (12 g) organic sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) minced ginger
- Dash sriracha (¼ – ½ tsp)
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup (150 g) sushi rice
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (266 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (8 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced watermelon radish
- Pickled ginger
- Black sesame seeds
1. Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. When the rice is nearly finished, stir in the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix well, fluffing the rice with a fork. When the rice cooker turns off, remove the lid to let the rice cool a bit.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Slice the stems of the king oyster mushrooms into ½”-¾” (1.5 cm) rounds, like scallops. Roughly chop the caps until it resembles crab meat.
4. Add the “scallops” and “crab meat” to the marinade, stir to coat and set aside for 5 minutes. Slice the cucumbers in half, then cut them into ½” (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice the watermelon radish into thin matchsticks.
5. Put a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan with a slotted spoon, reserve the marinade. Try to keep the “scallops” on one side of the pan and the “crab meat” on the other.
6. Cook the “scallops” to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook the “crab meat” for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop the scallions. Mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl.
7. Add the chopped “crab meat” from the pan, mix well to make the vegan dynamite.
8. Divide the rice into 2-3 bowls, top each with a generous scoop of the dynamite mixture. Arrange the top with mushroom scallops, avocado, cucumber slices, and watermelon radish. Finish with a drizzle of eel sauce, pickled ginger, and black sesame seeds.
Fresh tip! If you can't find king oyster mushrooms (also called trumpet mushrooms) feel free to swap regular oyster mushrooms, lions mane, or any other very tender mushroom, sliced or chopped.
Some sriracha is not vegan! Check the label to be sure it's not made with fish.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!