Vegan Chicago-Style Hot Dog Recipe
The Chicago Dog—the epitome of Chicagoan cuisine. Accept no substitutes, and accept no ketchup. How you prepare the hot dogs is really up to you, but for the sake of keeping it traditional, this recipe will require you to boil and steam them.
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Dragged Through The Garden
- Vegan hot dogs
- Vegan poppy seed hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- White onion
- Sport peppers
- Relish (neon green where available)
- Beefsteak tomato
- Dill pickle spears
- Celery salt
1. Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Dice up a white onion. Slice a beefsteak tomato into wedges.
2. Add 4 hot dogs into the boiling water for three minutes, and then take them out and set aside. Add your steamer basket onto the pot. Place 4 poppy seed buns into the basket and bring water to a simmer with a lid on top. You can add the hot dogs too to keep them warm.
3. Remove the buns and hot dogs from the basket. Put the hot dog in the bun and add the following: yellow mustard, relish, diced onion. Add two wedges of tomato between the hot dog and the bun. Add a dill pickle spear, two sport peppers and a generous dash of celery salt.
Tip! For a true Chicago-style hot dog, don't add ketchup.
RELATED: How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes
Joe, self-made culinary rockstar, is the voice behind the vegan recipe blog Dragged Through The Garden. When he isn’t running sales and marketing for a local Chicago brewery (or drinking Negronis and chasing his two cats around the house!), you can find him deep in the middle of his kitchen, whipping up plant-based comfort food recipes.
More from VegOut
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!
Sustainably and Carefully Sourced Ingredients Set This Native American-Owned Vegan Bakery Apart
Place an order from Wholesome Bakery in honor of Native American Heritage Month!
8 Vegan Bakeries in Los Angeles
Stock up for the holidays at these sweet stops!
11 Best Cruelty-Free, Vegan Laundry Detergents
Elevate your laundry day with these plant-based brands.
Pomona’s First All-Vegetarian Spot Borreguitas Serves Traditional Mexican Dishes
This powerful story highlights how the Torres family turned their 15-year-old restaurant into Pomona’s first vegetarian spot!