Vegan Chicago-Style Hot Dog Recipe
The Chicago Dog—the epitome of Chicagoan cuisine. Accept no substitutes, and accept no ketchup. How you prepare the hot dogs is really up to you, but for the sake of keeping it traditional, this recipe will require you to boil and steam them.
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Dragged Through The Garden
- Vegan hot dogs
- Vegan poppy seed hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- White onion
- Sport peppers
- Relish (neon green where available)
- Beefsteak tomato
- Dill pickle spears
- Celery salt
1. Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Dice up a white onion. Slice a beefsteak tomato into wedges.
2. Add 4 hot dogs into the boiling water for three minutes, and then take them out and set aside. Add your steamer basket onto the pot. Place 4 poppy seed buns into the basket and bring water to a simmer with a lid on top. You can add the hot dogs too to keep them warm.
3. Remove the buns and hot dogs from the basket. Put the hot dog in the bun and add the following: yellow mustard, relish, diced onion. Add two wedges of tomato between the hot dog and the bun. Add a dill pickle spear, two sport peppers and a generous dash of celery salt.
Tip! For a true Chicago-style hot dog, don't add ketchup.
RELATED: How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes
Joe, self-made culinary rockstar, is the voice behind the vegan recipe blog Dragged Through The Garden. When he isn’t running sales and marketing for a local Chicago brewery (or drinking Negronis and chasing his two cats around the house!), you can find him deep in the middle of his kitchen, whipping up plant-based comfort food recipes.
More from VegOut
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Plant Power Fast Food Launches Value Burger to Compete with McDonald’s
The vegan fast-food chain announces new low-priced menu items!
Stand-Up Burgers to Open in Culver City This Week
We’ve got the details on Culver City’s newest vegan burger joint, including an interview with the CEO of Veggie Grill Inc., Jay Gentile.
Belse Plant Cuisine Opens in NYC Today
Introducing the hottest new spot in The Big Apple!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!