Vegan Chicago-Style Hot Dog Recipe
The Chicago Dog—the epitome of Chicagoan cuisine. Accept no substitutes, and accept no ketchup. How you prepare the hot dogs is really up to you, but for the sake of keeping it traditional, this recipe will require you to boil and steam them.
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Dragged Through The Garden
- Vegan hot dogs
- Vegan poppy seed hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- White onion
- Sport peppers
- Relish (neon green where available)
- Beefsteak tomato
- Dill pickle spears
- Celery salt
1. Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Dice up a white onion. Slice a beefsteak tomato into wedges.
2. Add 4 hot dogs into the boiling water for three minutes, and then take them out and set aside. Add your steamer basket onto the pot. Place 4 poppy seed buns into the basket and bring water to a simmer with a lid on top. You can add the hot dogs too to keep them warm.
3. Remove the buns and hot dogs from the basket. Put the hot dog in the bun and add the following: yellow mustard, relish, diced onion. Add two wedges of tomato between the hot dog and the bun. Add a dill pickle spear, two sport peppers and a generous dash of celery salt.
Tip! For a true Chicago-style hot dog, don't add ketchup.
RELATED: How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes
Joe, self-made culinary rockstar, is the voice behind the vegan recipe blog Dragged Through The Garden. When he isn’t running sales and marketing for a local Chicago brewery (or drinking Negronis and chasing his two cats around the house!), you can find him deep in the middle of his kitchen, whipping up plant-based comfort food recipes.
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!