20-Minute Vegan Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
Seared veggies and soy chick’n in a classic Japanese teriyaki sauce made from mirin, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic.
Servings: 2 Time: 20 minutes Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 2 vegan chicken cutlets (Gardein's Chick'n Scallopini is our favorite)
- 1/2 small zucchini, cut into â…› inch rounds
- 3 stems of broccolini, cut into long, bite sized pieces
- 1/4 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (plus more as needed)
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated garlic (about 1 clove)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Cooked jasmine rice
1. Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small, airtight container and shake to combine (the sugar will remain crunchy; that's okay). Set aside for now.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in sesame oil and swirl around to coat. Place in chicken cutlets and sear on each side until heavily browned; about 4 minutes per side. Pro tip: a little burning adds flavor!
3. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cut into bite-sized pieces, and keep aside for now.
4. Using the same pan as before, boost heat to high and toss in zucchini, broccolini, onions, and a medium pinch of salt. Use tongs to scrub the veggies against the pan, scraping off burnt pieces of chicken for extra flavor. Cook, tossing occasionally, until veggies are lightly charred in some areas; about 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken back into the pan along with all of the teriyaki sauce from Step 1. Toss and stir frequently until sauce is seared onto the veggies; about 1 ½ minutes.
6. Top with scallions and toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately! Pairs wonderfully with fresh jasmine rice.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
10 Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Tampa, FL
Whether you’re taking a trip to Busch Gardens or exploring the historic Ybor neighborhood, Tampa has no shortage of plant-based options when hunger strikes. From burgers with cheese whiz to beautifully plated Mediterranean dishes, Tampa has become a destination for both vegans and foodies alike. Here are 10 vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants to check out in Tampa, FL!
LGBTQ+-Owned Vegan Doughnut Truck Opens in Seattle
A new fully-vegan doughnut truck is coming to Seattle, and we have the deets on the treats! (We knew doughnuts were shaped like wheels for a reason.)
This Vegan Brow Bar Is Serving Up Cruelty-Free Looks In NYC
Boom Boom Brow Bar is NYC’s first walk-in brow bar that has been serving clients with vegan and cruelty-free looks since 2008. The NYC-based salon uses ethically-developed products in all of their services, which include brow, lip, chin, sideburn, hairline, and full face waxing, as well as brow and lash tints.
Cinnaholic to Open New Location in Uptown Houston
Cinnaholic—a California-based franchise bakery that offers plant-based cinnamon rolls is scheduled to open its first location in Uptown Houston, Texas this summer. The chain currently has two locations outside the city in the surrounding suburbs (Pearland and Cypress).
11 Sustainable Swimwear Brands for Summer 2021
If you want to stunt a trendy, sustainably made swimsuit this season, check out these brands! With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, who wouldn’t love to cool off with a dip in the pool, a trip to the beach, or even a pass on your kids slip-n-slide? If you’re partaking in any of these refreshing water activities, you’ll most likely want a bathing suit. And if you’re anything like us, you want to wear items that are eco-friendly and made by brands that treat their employees well. Here’s a list of our favorite swimsuit companies that fit the bill.
Devi’s Donuts Opens Brick-and-Mortar in Long Beach
Devi’s Donuts, an all-vegan Long Beach pop-up, establishes a brick-and-mortar!
Venice’s Adrift Burger Bar Adds Vegan Burger to Menu This Earth Day
Sun’s out, buns out! No, silly, not those buns! Burger buns!
10 Vegan Fast Food Breakfasts to Eat On the Go or Recreate at Home
Whether you’re commuting to the office, working from home, or looking for weekend brekkie inspo, we’ve got you. From drive-thru snags and restaurant go-to’s to home-cooked breakfast faves, here are your on-the-go ordering deets and DIY swaps for the most important meal of the day.
6 South Asian-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants Across America
It can be difficult to find amazing, all-vegan South Asian dishes. Whether you’re craving a flavorful chana masala or a heavenly spicy curry, VegOut has you covered, so you can enjoy the vibrance of South Asian cuisine without the traditional dairy-heavy ingredients. Here are our picks for some of the best South Asian-owned vegan restaurants across the nation.
Nostalgic Vegan Candy Bars Launch at Alfred Coffee for a Limited Time
Huge flavor in a perfectly portioned package, the NY-based Gigantic “sortasweet” candy bars are making a splash in Los Angeles as the brand arrives at Alfred locations for a limited time!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!