Vegan Street-Style Barbacoa Burrito Recipe
Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Vegan Mob Expands to San Francisco and San Jose
Much to the excitement of those living in the Bay Area, the popular Oakland vegan soul food restaurant Vegan Mob is expanding to two new locations. A brick-and-mortar in San Jose will be located at 949 Ruff Drive and is expected to start taking pickup and delivery orders by the second week of March. The San Francisco location will be a permanent home for the Vegan Mob food truck at the intersection of Valencia and 18th. You can catch the truck Tuesdays-Sundays from 11am-9pm starting March 20th.
Coconut Bliss Launches Single Serve Vegan Ice Cream Cups
We’ve come full circle, and individual ice cream cups are officially back … veganized, of course! The popular vegan ice cream brand Coconut Bliss has announced a new line of single serve cups (sans wooden spoon), available in two of their most popular flavors: Dark Chocolate and Madagascar Vanilla Bean. The cups will come in a four-pack, and will be available on the Coconut Bliss website and at retailers nationwide.
Easy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
I love this soup because it’s creamy, savory and so easy to make. It’s hearty, healthy, and comforting. The creaminess of the white beans and the umami flavors from the miso paste and liquid smoke is really what makes this soup extra special!
Peet’s Coffee Debuts Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Nationwide Today
Peet’s Coffee just launched an all-vegan breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat and JUST Egg—and it’s available nationwide starting TODAY!
New Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant Opens in Dallas Area
A new Black-owned brick-and-mortar has opened in Irving, Texas and we’ve got the inside scoop on the fire Southern eats!
Pinky Cole Opens Vegan Cheesesteak Concept Inside Atlanta’s Bar Vegan
Pinky Cole—founder of the renowned Slutty Vegan—has teamed up with Derrick Hayes of Big Dave’s (another popular Atlanta eatery) to open Dinkies, a plant-based cheesesteak concept.
6 Vegan-Friendly Ethiopian Restaurants in Los Angeles
If your parents ever told you to stop eating your food with your hands, Ethiopian food is for you! Injera (a spongy flatbread) comes with most dishes, and it’s absolutely encouraged and customary in Ethiopian dining to use it as a vehicle to scoop up each delicious and flavor-packed bite. Not only that, but nearly half the population of Ethiopia are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who traditionally eat vegan on Wednesdays, Fridays, and other fasting days, totaling over 200+ days per year. We’re rounding up some of LA’s best spots to try this vegan-friendly cuisine below!
Chicago’s Kitchen 17 Now Ships Vegan Deep-Dish Pizza to All 50 States
Kitchen 17—a Chicago-based vegan pizza joint—has expanded the shipping radius for their signature frozen deep-dish pizzas. The restaurant is now offering their house-made frozen pizzas shipped to all 50 states.
Forager Project Launches New Line of Vegan Cheese
Forager Project just dropped a new line of vegan cheese using their fan-favorite probiotic cashew milk yogurt!
13 Vegan Frozen Meals for Your Busy Life
You’re busy, we get it, but you still gotta eat, and you gotta eat well. On any other night you might whip up an IG-worthy dish like the veganista/isto/istx you are or you might order your go-to Uber Eats, but not tonight. Tonight you reach into your freezer and pull out a plant-based frozen dinner that will be ready in an instant. We aren’t talking any old freezer meal; we’re talking tasty, actually-looks-like-what’s-on-the-package meals from your friendly freezer.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!