Vegan Street-Style Barbacoa Burrito Recipe
Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
2021 International Vegan Film Festival to Take Place Virtually, Tickets on Sale Now
Pop some popcorn and get ready to be inspired!
OMG! We’re Obsessed with These Veggie Chips
These good-for-you veggie snacks are a tasty way to eat your vegetables.
7 Spots to Get Pumpkin-Flavored Vegan Eats in NYC
Celebrate the fall season with pumpkin-flavored donuts, pies, soups, and more!
Vegan Tapas and Cocktail Bar Opens in Albany, New York
Bar Vegan is now open for late-night eats, signature cocktails, and live music in Central Square.
Vegan BBQ Pop-Up Coming to Brooklyn, NYC This November
Get a taste of Southern BBQ in Brooklyn, NYC at this new vegan pop-up!
Dough Joy Donuts to Open Brick-and-Mortar in Seattle
The popular Seattle-based vegan food truck has plans to open its first brick-and-mortar location before the end of the year.
Fast-Casual Greek Chain Souvla Adds Plant-Based Lamb to Menu
The San Francisco restaurant launched the vegan lamb at all four of its locations on October 20.
Plant Power Fast Food’s Las Vegas Location Is Now Open
The chain makes vegan versions of fast-food classics from breakfast to dessert!
Pressed Is Launching La Colombe Vegan Cold Brew Smoothies
Give your morning a boost with these convenient, nutrient-dense beverages!
Chicago’s Kale My Name Opening Los Angeles Location with Tabitha Brown
This marks Tabitha Brown’s first vegan restaurant business venture.
Memphis Gets Its First Full-Service Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant
Headed up by celebrity chef Daudi “Da Vegan Guru” McLean, the vegan soul food joint will be Memphis’ first full-service Black-owned vegan restaurant.
The Best Vegan Shrimp Brands
These plant-based shrimps have the taste and texture of traditional seafood!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!