Vegan Street-Style Barbacoa Burrito Recipe
Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
The Best Places to Eat Vegan in the South Bay
If you’re heading to Manhattan, Hermosa, or Redondo Beach, there is no shortage of vegan options. From upscale vegan Italian to Asian fusion to a fully vegan organic market with perhaps the best vegan BLTA you will ever have, there’s something for everyone. Here are the best places to eat vegan in the South Bay!
Chef Mark McKinney Is Opening a Vegan Restaurant in Philadelphia This Fall
This vegan chef is transforming his original pop-up into a restaurant concept in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!
VegOut’s Los Angeles Vegan Gift Guide
Gift giving is a tradition as old as time, but not too long ago collective sighs could be heard across the world when it came time to buy thoughtful presents for vegans. Now, plant-based gift shopping is anything but boring and the furthest thing from difficult! Our Los Angeles vegan gift guide has you covered with everything from hand-poured candles and toxin-free spas to French-style pastries and some of the best chocolate you’ve ever had!
Peet’s Coffee Now Serves a Limited-Edition Vegan Cold Brew Oat Latte
The fan-favorite coffee chain is back at it with the vegan options!
10 Vegan Skincare Brands We Love
It’s time to cue up the messy bun and wash away the troubles of the day with these cruelty-free, vegan skincare brands.
Crocs Plans to Go 100% Vegan by the End of 2021
The wickedly popular shoe brand is putting its kicks into four-wheel drive with its latest sustainability efforts!
Jessica Biel Just Launched a Vegan Wellness Brand for Kids
The actress and mother of two has created a company that makes natural, vegan products for families and also gives back to the planet.
10 Gluten-Free Vegan Snacks That’ll Satisfy Your Cravings
From dips and chips to popcorn and protein bars, these brands have you covered for your gluten-free snacking needs.
New 144-Seat Vegan Restaurant Fancy Plants Kitchen to Open in Chicago
A new all-vegan restaurant is opening in the Lincoln Park neighborhood!
Beyond Meat to Offer Free Vegan Chicken Tenders This Tuesday
In honor of National Chicken Tender Day, Beyond Meat is giving customers a chance to try their new plant-based tenders for free.
New Vegan Vendor Opens at Brooklyn’s DeKalb Market
This new eatery is serving up plantain-based tacos, desserts, and more!
Vegan Meat Brand OZO Launches New Chicken Nuggets, Meatballs, and More
New OZO products including frozen nuggets, meatballs, chicken patties, and fresh versions of the Smokehouse Burger and ground turkey are available this summer.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!