Vegan Street-Style Barbacoa Burrito Recipe
Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!
Sustainably and Carefully Sourced Ingredients Set This Native American-Owned Vegan Bakery Apart
Place an order from Wholesome Bakery in honor of Native American Heritage Month!
8 Vegan Bakeries in Los Angeles
Stock up for the holidays at these sweet stops!
11 Best Cruelty-Free, Vegan Laundry Detergents
Elevate your laundry day with these plant-based brands.
Pomona’s First All-Vegetarian Spot Borreguitas Serves Traditional Mexican Dishes
This powerful story highlights how the Torres family turned their 15-year-old restaurant into Pomona’s first vegetarian spot!
10 Vegan Ice Cream Brands That Ship Nationwide
From sorbet bars and gelato to ice cream sandwiches and cones, these desserts hit the spot!