Vegan Roasted Jalapeño Queso Recipe
Cashews are probably the last thing you think of when you’re craving queso. But the creamy, buttery consistency created by the cashews, the fiery kick from a roasted jalapeño, and the “cheesy” taste thanks to nutritional yeast all work together here to create a velvety, luxurious dip.
Servings: Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 jalapeño
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or “flash-soaked” (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the jalapeño on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil so that it is completely coated. Roast the jalapeño in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is tender and the skin begins to blacken. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, remove the jalapeño’s stem, and set the jalapeño aside to cool. For a less spicy queso, slice the jalapeño open and remove the seeds.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and roasted jalapeño. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth and velvety. I live for a thick queso but if yours is coming out too creamy for your liking, blend in a couple extra splashes of vegetable broth.
- Season the queso with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve immediately, with tortilla chips!
Note: You can either soak cashews overnight in room-temperature water or, if you’re impatient like me, you can use the flash-soaking method. All you do is boil some water and pour it over the cashews. Let them sit in the hot water off the heat for one to two hours.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!