Vegan Roasted Jalapeño Queso Recipe
Cashews are probably the last thing you think of when you’re craving queso. But the creamy, buttery consistency created by the cashews, the fiery kick from a roasted jalapeño, and the “cheesy” taste thanks to nutritional yeast all work together here to create a velvety, luxurious dip.
Servings: Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 jalapeño
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or “flash-soaked” (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the jalapeño on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil so that it is completely coated. Roast the jalapeño in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is tender and the skin begins to blacken. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, remove the jalapeño’s stem, and set the jalapeño aside to cool. For a less spicy queso, slice the jalapeño open and remove the seeds.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and roasted jalapeño. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth and velvety. I live for a thick queso but if yours is coming out too creamy for your liking, blend in a couple extra splashes of vegetable broth.
- Season the queso with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve immediately, with tortilla chips!
Note: You can either soak cashews overnight in room-temperature water or, if you’re impatient like me, you can use the flash-soaking method. All you do is boil some water and pour it over the cashews. Let them sit in the hot water off the heat for one to two hours.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
11 Essential Vegan Baking Ingredients
Keep these ingredients on hand for creating easy vegan baked goods in a snap.
Meet TCHO’s Dark & Bitter, Your New Favorite Vegan Baking Chocolate
This Dark & Bitter Unsweetened Baking Chocolate is a kitchen staple!
15 Nostalgic Vegan Snacks
We’re throwing it back to the good old days—with a vegan twist!
15 Must-Try Vegan Restaurants in Orange County
Pizza shops, sushi restaurants, burger joints—this list covers it all!
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!