Vegan Roasted Jalapeño Queso Recipe
Cashews are probably the last thing you think of when you’re craving queso. But the creamy, buttery consistency created by the cashews, the fiery kick from a roasted jalapeño, and the “cheesy” taste thanks to nutritional yeast all work together here to create a velvety, luxurious dip.
Servings: Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 jalapeño
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or “flash-soaked” (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the jalapeño on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil so that it is completely coated. Roast the jalapeño in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is tender and the skin begins to blacken. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, remove the jalapeño’s stem, and set the jalapeño aside to cool. For a less spicy queso, slice the jalapeño open and remove the seeds.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and roasted jalapeño. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth and velvety. I live for a thick queso but if yours is coming out too creamy for your liking, blend in a couple extra splashes of vegetable broth.
- Season the queso with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve immediately, with tortilla chips!
Note: You can either soak cashews overnight in room-temperature water or, if you’re impatient like me, you can use the flash-soaking method. All you do is boil some water and pour it over the cashews. Let them sit in the hot water off the heat for one to two hours.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Plant Power Fast Food Launches Value Burger to Compete with McDonald’s
The vegan fast-food chain announces new low-priced menu items!
Stand-Up Burgers to Open in Culver City This Week
We’ve got the details on Culver City’s newest vegan burger joint, including an interview with the CEO of Veggie Grill Inc., Jay Gentile.
Belse Plant Cuisine Opens in NYC Today
Introducing the hottest new spot in The Big Apple!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!