Vegan Roasted Jalapeño Queso Recipe
Cashews are probably the last thing you think of when you’re craving queso. But the creamy, buttery consistency created by the cashews, the fiery kick from a roasted jalapeño, and the “cheesy” taste thanks to nutritional yeast all work together here to create a velvety, luxurious dip.
Servings: Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 jalapeño
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or “flash-soaked” (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the jalapeño on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil so that it is completely coated. Roast the jalapeño in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is tender and the skin begins to blacken. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, remove the jalapeño’s stem, and set the jalapeño aside to cool. For a less spicy queso, slice the jalapeño open and remove the seeds.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and roasted jalapeño. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth and velvety. I live for a thick queso but if yours is coming out too creamy for your liking, blend in a couple extra splashes of vegetable broth.
- Season the queso with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve immediately, with tortilla chips!
Note: You can either soak cashews overnight in room-temperature water or, if you’re impatient like me, you can use the flash-soaking method. All you do is boil some water and pour it over the cashews. Let them sit in the hot water off the heat for one to two hours.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery Opens in Sacramento
It can be difficult to find delicious vegan pastries in your neighborhood, but Sacramentans look no further—Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery is the place to be, not only offering a diverse menu of sweet treats, but a myriad of savory specials as well.
Chris Paul and Slutty Vegan Serve Free Food to Atlanta Community on Juneteenth
Slutty Vegan and NBA star Chris Paul of the Phoenix Suns are teaming up to serve free food to the Atlanta community in celebration of Juneteenth.
20 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Businesses to Support
From restaurants, food trucks, and pop-ups to clothing and beauty brands, this list covers it all!
Black-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants to Support in Chicago
From stacked burgers to soul food platters and raw dishes, these Black-owned vegan spots have something for everyone.
Black-Owned Music-Themed Vegan Coffee Shop Opens in Houston This Weekend
A new concept that blends coffee, vegan food, and music will make its debut in Houston, Texas on Juneteenth.
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Los Angeles
Whether you’re craving vegan burgers, buffalo cauliflower, or apple cobbler, stop by one of these Black-owned vegan restaurants to get your fix!
10 Best Vegan Brunch Spots Nationwide
Get those mimosas flowin’ at these vegan brunch spots nationwide!
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in NYC
In the mood for some cheesy garlic sticks, or perhaps a fresh-pressed juice? Check out these Black-owned vegan spots for all of your vegan cheese cravings, smoothies, and more!
Atlantic City Vegan Food Festival Returns This July
It’s going to be a hot vegan summer as New Jersey VegFest is making a comeback in Atlantic City!
Trader Joe’s Launches Spicy Vegan Pork Rinds
Bored of your current snack routine? Add Trader Joe’s Spicy Porkless Plant-Based Snack Rinds to your grazing rotation!
Vans Just Launched Its First Sustainable Vegan Sneaker Line
From old-school skaters to Gen Z teens, and everyone in between, we’ve all owned a pair of Vans at some point!
Jay-Z Invests in Plant-Based Chicken Nugget Company NUGGS
The future of vegan chicken nuggets is looking bright as Jay-Z is now backing this plant-based startup!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!