Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More from VegOut
LA’s Lettuce Feast Food Truck Burns Down, Owners Raise Money to Rebuild
The famed vegan fried chicken food truck caught on fire last night and owners Eva Cannon and Will Perrymon launched a GoFundMe to raise money for a new truck, or brick-and-mortar location.
14 Women-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
Thank you, Queen Bey, girls really do run the world, and for International Women’s Day we’re rounding up some of our favorite women-owned vegan brands!
The 17 Best Vegan Sandwiches in Los Angeles
‘Tis the season for comfort food and sweatpants. We’re rounding up some of our favorite go-to comfort food indulgences—found between two slices of bread—from around the city. All of these sandwiches pair nicely with the cozy loungewear overtaking your closet since the beginning of last March, am I right?
Women-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in NYC for Women’s History Month
NYC is known for having some of the best vegan cuisine in the country—and many of these plant-based eateries are owned and operated by female chefs, restaurateurs, and even fashion entrepreneurs. Whether you’re craving a plate of chicken & waffles, or your sweet tooth is calling for a pecan chocolate cookie—these women-owned restaurants have you covered. Celebrate Women’s History Month by visiting one of these delicious vegan spots!
Start Your Day off Right with These 10 Vegan Breakfast Cereals
The grocery aisle is packed with cereal options and, fortunately for us, there’s a growing number of vegan brands. Whether you’re feeding your inner child with fun shapes and flavors or fueling your adult breakfast cravings with superfoods and whole grains, here’s a list of vegan cereals to get your day started right.
The Herbivorous Butcher Is Opening a Vegan Fried Chicken Restaurant
The first vegan butcher shop in the US is opening a new fast casual vegan fried chicken restaurant this spring!
The 10 Best Store-Bought Guacamole Brands
Guac doesn’t have to be extra, but that doesn’t mean you and your culinary creations can’t be! From spur of the moment fiestas to mashed avo breaky toast to roasted veggie grain bowls topped with spicy guac, the possibilities are endless. With several packaged guacs available, it’s easier than ever to rock out with your guac out. Here are 10 store bought guacamole varieties you need to try.
5 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
It’s the perfect time to pull out that favorite recipe and bake some chewy, delicious chocolate chip cookies. The baking aisle is packed with competing chocolate chip brands, and now is not the time to stand around reading ingredient labels. Let us make things easy for you. Looking for gluten-free? Soy-free? Sugar-free? We’ve included chocolate chips everyone can enjoy. Here’s our list of the best vegan-friendly chocolate chips you need in your pantry now.
Buffalo Hummus Recipe
This is one of my favorite hummus spreads to make! It comes together in minutes and it’s packed with all the spice. I usually serve it with pita tortilla chips but it’s also great with veggies if you’re aiming for a healthier take. It’s a crowd-pleaser and I bet that when it’s done, your only wish is that you made more!
8 Spots for Vegan Milkshakes in NYC
We all love a good bowl of ice cream, but sometimes what we really need is a tasty milkshake to wet our whistles. From fall-inspired shakes to mint chocolate chip, there is a shake for every palate at these vegan and vegan-friendly NYC eateries. Here are eight spots for vegan milkshakes in NYC.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!