Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Maddie Reich of The Jewish Vegan
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
RELATED: Vegan Latke Recipe for Hanukkah
Want even more vegan recipes, news, food, and lifestyle content? Subscribe to VegOut Magazine!
More from VegOut
12 “Beefy” Store-Bought Vegan Burgers to Try in 2021
Vegan burgers are going mainstream! Beyond and Impossible brands drove “beefy” plant burgers into the mass market, causing a major shift in how meatless patties were received by the general public. Many big-name companies followed with 100% vegan options of their own added to their old-school lineups. So whether you’re vegan, veg-curious, or just here for the great food, here are 12 burgers to side up with your tots and fries.
The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Chocolate
Valentine’s Day is coming and we’re looking forward to enjoying some vegan-friendly chocolate treats. Here’s a list of dark and “milk” chocolate options that are dairy-free, delicious, and perfect for gifting.
25 Black-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Right Now
While signing petitions and donating to organizations is great, giving money directly to the Black community is also important. Why keep filling the pockets of giant companies, when you can support these smaller businesses? Check out this list of fully vegan brands including makeup, hair care, skincare, shower products, and more.
9 Essential Juice Shops in Los Angeles
Help boost your immune system with the juices, shots, and cleanses from these vegan-friendly spots in LA! Yep, we’re falling into the trap of every health-loving LA vegan. After your online yoga class, here are some juice spots to order for delivery or pick-up before tending to your patio herb garden. Jokes aside, juices are a great way to get in extra vitamins and nutrients, detox your digestive tract, and refresh your routine. Note: These establishments are vegan-friendly. Keep an eye out for honey and bee pollen when ordering.
New Plant-Based Caribbean Cafe Now Open in Brooklyn
Experience a taste of the Caribbean in Brooklyn’s Flatbush neighborhood!
Maya’s Cookies Launches Limited-Time Presidential Collection
Happy Inauguration Day! What better way to celebrate than with vegan cookies? Maya’s Cookies is featuring a special Presidential Collection in honor of the new administration. The collection contains three flavors. The Obama is inspired by Michelle Obama’s award-winning recipe, and contains walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and mint chocolate chips. The Biden is an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips and cranberries—a veganized version of a recipe from Dr. Jill Biden’s own recipe book. And lastly, the Madam Vice President is a delicious sugar cookie dipped in red, white, and blue sprinkles.
21 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
Load up your kitchen with these amazing vegan food products from Black-owned businesses across the nation! Right now, it’s more important than ever to support the Black community. Put more of your spending money toward supporting local Black-owned businesses, rather than larger corporations. Whether you need coffee, snacks, or plant-based meats and cheeses, this list covers it all!
Chobani Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Cold Brew
Grabbing a delicious cold brew on the go just got easier! Continuing on their successful expansion of oat milk products, Chobani is kicking off 2021 by launching two new vegan cold brew options. The first—Cold Brew Pure Black—is cold brew made without sugar or cream, and the second—Cold Brew with Oatmilk—is made using a creamy gluten-free oat blend.
Vegan Exchange Reopens as Drive-Thru in North Hollywood
2021 just keeps getting better when it comes to vegan food options! Vegan Exchange, the little sister to the annual Vegan Street Fair, is back and operating as a drive-thru every Sunday from 11am-5pm in North Hollywood, happening now. In order to keep social distancing measures and maintain a safe environment for vendors and guests, the pop-up is serving pre-orders only.
Your Vegan Guide to Girl Scout Cookies 2021
Happy Girl Scout season! Did you know that five of the classic Girl Scout cookies are vegan?
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!