Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More from VegOut
Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery Opens in Sacramento
It can be difficult to find delicious vegan pastries in your neighborhood, but Sacramentans look no further—Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery is the place to be, not only offering a diverse menu of sweet treats, but a myriad of savory specials as well.
Chris Paul and Slutty Vegan Serve Free Food to Atlanta Community on Juneteenth
Slutty Vegan and NBA star Chris Paul of the Phoenix Suns are teaming up to serve free food to the Atlanta community in celebration of Juneteenth.
20 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Businesses to Support
From restaurants, food trucks, and pop-ups to clothing and beauty brands, this list covers it all!
Black-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants to Support in Chicago
From stacked burgers to soul food platters and raw dishes, these Black-owned vegan spots have something for everyone.
Black-Owned Music-Themed Vegan Coffee Shop Opens in Houston This Weekend
A new concept that blends coffee, vegan food, and music will make its debut in Houston, Texas on Juneteenth.
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Los Angeles
Whether you’re craving vegan burgers, buffalo cauliflower, or apple cobbler, stop by one of these Black-owned vegan restaurants to get your fix!
10 Best Vegan Brunch Spots Nationwide
Get those mimosas flowin’ at these vegan brunch spots nationwide!
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in NYC
In the mood for some cheesy garlic sticks, or perhaps a fresh-pressed juice? Check out these Black-owned vegan spots for all of your vegan cheese cravings, smoothies, and more!
Atlantic City Vegan Food Festival Returns This July
It’s going to be a hot vegan summer as New Jersey VegFest is making a comeback in Atlantic City!
Trader Joe’s Launches Spicy Vegan Pork Rinds
Bored of your current snack routine? Add Trader Joe’s Spicy Porkless Plant-Based Snack Rinds to your grazing rotation!
Vans Just Launched Its First Sustainable Vegan Sneaker Line
From old-school skaters to Gen Z teens, and everyone in between, we’ve all owned a pair of Vans at some point!
Jay-Z Invests in Plant-Based Chicken Nugget Company NUGGS
The future of vegan chicken nuggets is looking bright as Jay-Z is now backing this plant-based startup!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!