Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Meal Delivery Services to Try in 2022
These meal delivery companies have everything you need to get the new year started on a healthy note.
Selling Sunset Star Emma Leigh Hernan Launches Frozen Vegan Empanada Brand
This new plant-based frozen food company has snacktime covered.
5 Vegan Honey Brands to Try
Life is sweet with these cruelty-free, vegan honey alternatives.
Unbelievably Vegan: An Interview with Charity Morgan
This celebrity chef is dishing up details about her family’s transition to a plant-based lifestyle and sharing tidbits from her new cookbook, Unbelievably Vegan.
14 Best Vegan Protein Bars
These plant-based protein bars will unite gym rats and busy bees alike!
Former Starbucks Executive Joins Plant Power Fast Food
The rapidly expanding fast-food chain names Steve Figliola as new Chief Development Officer.
Wanderlust Creamery Is Scooping Ube and Pavlova Vegan Ice Cream Flavors This Month
Run, don’t walk to your nearest location to try these limited-edition flavors!
Copper Branch Launches Limited-Time Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich
The Canada-based restaurant chain will be the first Canadian restaurant to carry Atlas Monroe’s plant-based fried chicken.
Restaurants and Brands Offering Veganuary Specials Nationwide
Veganuary has never been easier with all of these specials!
Busting the Vegan Protein Myth Once and for All
Where do vegans get their protein? Glad you asked. We’ve got answers.
Try These Limited-Edition Vegan Items in Chicago This Veganuary
From salads and sushi to donuts and cinnamon rolls, there are many amazing vegan dishes to try this month.
Portland Vegan Pop-Up Mis Tacones to Open Brick-and-Mortar Next Month
The queer and Chicanx-owned vegan taqueria pop-up has been a part of the Portland food scene since 2016.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!