Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!