Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
- 8oz of your favorite pasta
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 package vegan cheese shreds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac ‘n’ cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More from VegOut
Vegan Mob Expands to San Francisco and San Jose
Much to the excitement of those living in the Bay Area, the popular Oakland vegan soul food restaurant Vegan Mob is expanding to two new locations. A brick-and-mortar in San Jose will be located at 949 Ruff Drive and is expected to start taking pickup and delivery orders by the second week of March. The San Francisco location will be a permanent home for the Vegan Mob food truck at the intersection of Valencia and 18th. You can catch the truck Tuesdays-Sundays from 11am-9pm starting March 20th.
Coconut Bliss Launches Single Serve Vegan Ice Cream Cups
We’ve come full circle, and individual ice cream cups are officially back … veganized, of course! The popular vegan ice cream brand Coconut Bliss has announced a new line of single serve cups (sans wooden spoon), available in two of their most popular flavors: Dark Chocolate and Madagascar Vanilla Bean. The cups will come in a four-pack, and will be available on the Coconut Bliss website and at retailers nationwide.
Easy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
I love this soup because it’s creamy, savory and so easy to make. It’s hearty, healthy, and comforting. The creaminess of the white beans and the umami flavors from the miso paste and liquid smoke is really what makes this soup extra special!
Peet’s Coffee Debuts Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Nationwide Today
Peet’s Coffee just launched an all-vegan breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat and JUST Egg—and it’s available nationwide starting TODAY!
New Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant Opens in Dallas Area
A new Black-owned brick-and-mortar has opened in Irving, Texas and we’ve got the inside scoop on the fire Southern eats!
Pinky Cole Opens Vegan Cheesesteak Concept Inside Atlanta’s Bar Vegan
Pinky Cole—founder of the renowned Slutty Vegan—has teamed up with Derrick Hayes of Big Dave’s (another popular Atlanta eatery) to open Dinkies, a plant-based cheesesteak concept.
6 Vegan-Friendly Ethiopian Restaurants in Los Angeles
If your parents ever told you to stop eating your food with your hands, Ethiopian food is for you! Injera (a spongy flatbread) comes with most dishes, and it’s absolutely encouraged and customary in Ethiopian dining to use it as a vehicle to scoop up each delicious and flavor-packed bite. Not only that, but nearly half the population of Ethiopia are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who traditionally eat vegan on Wednesdays, Fridays, and other fasting days, totaling over 200+ days per year. We’re rounding up some of LA’s best spots to try this vegan-friendly cuisine below!
Chicago’s Kitchen 17 Now Ships Vegan Deep-Dish Pizza to All 50 States
Kitchen 17—a Chicago-based vegan pizza joint—has expanded the shipping radius for their signature frozen deep-dish pizzas. The restaurant is now offering their house-made frozen pizzas shipped to all 50 states.
Forager Project Launches New Line of Vegan Cheese
Forager Project just dropped a new line of vegan cheese using their fan-favorite probiotic cashew milk yogurt!
13 Vegan Frozen Meals for Your Busy Life
You’re busy, we get it, but you still gotta eat, and you gotta eat well. On any other night you might whip up an IG-worthy dish like the veganista/isto/istx you are or you might order your go-to Uber Eats, but not tonight. Tonight you reach into your freezer and pull out a plant-based frozen dinner that will be ready in an instant. We aren’t talking any old freezer meal; we’re talking tasty, actually-looks-like-what’s-on-the-package meals from your friendly freezer.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!