Vegan Elote Corn and Butternut Squash Tacos Recipe
Elote, aka Mexican street corn, is ludicrously delicious! Since it’s virtually unavailable outside of Mexico and Southern California, I dreamt up this incredible taco to bring a taste of Mexico straight to your home kitchen. I like using low-carb, high-protein tortillas here to balance out the carbiness of it all, but they’ll taste amazing with any type you choose. To save even more time, look for pre-sliced butternut squash in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle.
Servings: 2-3 Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 20 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) agave
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili, depending on how spicy you want it
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 ears of corn
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbsp oil (avocado or olive)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeno
- ¼ cup (25 g) vegan parmesan shreds
Super Easy Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Large handful cilantro
- 2 purple cabbage leaves
- Tortillas of choice (I recommend low-carb, use corn for GF option)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Poke several holes in the squash with a fork, then microwave it for 2 minutes to make peeling easier. (You can skip this step, but skipping will increase prep time.) Meanwhile, measure the dry spices. Peel the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, then slice each half into ½ inch half moon shapes.
2. Lay the squash in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and agave. Season with salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Rub the squash until well coated. Roast the squash for 20-22 minutes, until tender. (It’s ok if the oven isn’t all the way hot yet.)
3. Peel the corn if the husks are still on. Cut the kernels from the cob into a large bowl. Dice the green onion, mince the garlic, and finely dice the jalapeno.
4. Put 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Mince the garlic.
5. Put the green onion, garlic, and jalapeno in the pan. Stir. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes undisturbed. Mash the avocados in a bowl.
6. Stir the corn, then cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring every so often, until the corn begins to brown. Add the vegan parmesan and remove from heat.
7. Mix the lime juice, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes with the mashed avocado. Wrap tortillas in foil, warm them in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Chop the purple cabbage and cilantro.
8. Build your tacos with roasted squash, elote corn, and a scoop of guacamole. Garnish with cilantro, purple cabbage, and optional vegan yogurt.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
8 Easy Food Swaps to Make for Plastic-Free July
Grab those reusable bags, we’re going on a plastic-free food hunt!
This Pittsburgh Restaurant and Jazz Bar Is Now 100% Vegan
Con Alma is every vegan music-lover's dream!
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
Vegan Rainbow Treats That Ship Nationwide for Pride Month
Check out these delicious rainbow sweet treats and drinks that are celebrating Pride all month long!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!