Vegan Elote Corn and Butternut Squash Tacos Recipe
Elote, aka Mexican street corn, is ludicrously delicious! Since it’s virtually unavailable outside of Mexico and Southern California, I dreamt up this incredible taco to bring a taste of Mexico straight to your home kitchen. I like using low-carb, high-protein tortillas here to balance out the carbiness of it all, but they’ll taste amazing with any type you choose. To save even more time, look for pre-sliced butternut squash in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle.
Servings: 2-3 Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 20 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) agave
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili, depending on how spicy you want it
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 ears of corn
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbsp oil (avocado or olive)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeno
- ¼ cup (25 g) vegan parmesan shreds
Super Easy Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Large handful cilantro
- 2 purple cabbage leaves
- Tortillas of choice (I recommend low-carb, use corn for GF option)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Poke several holes in the squash with a fork, then microwave it for 2 minutes to make peeling easier. (You can skip this step, but skipping will increase prep time.) Meanwhile, measure the dry spices. Peel the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, then slice each half into ½ inch half moon shapes.
2. Lay the squash in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and agave. Season with salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Rub the squash until well coated. Roast the squash for 20-22 minutes, until tender. (It’s ok if the oven isn’t all the way hot yet.)
3. Peel the corn if the husks are still on. Cut the kernels from the cob into a large bowl. Dice the green onion, mince the garlic, and finely dice the jalapeno.
4. Put 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Mince the garlic.
5. Put the green onion, garlic, and jalapeno in the pan. Stir. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes undisturbed. Mash the avocados in a bowl.
6. Stir the corn, then cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring every so often, until the corn begins to brown. Add the vegan parmesan and remove from heat.
7. Mix the lime juice, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes with the mashed avocado. Wrap tortillas in foil, warm them in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Chop the purple cabbage and cilantro.
8. Build your tacos with roasted squash, elote corn, and a scoop of guacamole. Garnish with cilantro, purple cabbage, and optional vegan yogurt.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!