Vegan Breakfast Totchos Recipe
What can I really say about this breakfast contribution except that it’s another tasty way to shovel scramble in your face! If you know me, you know I love tots, perhaps even more than french fries or onion rings … but do I have to pick? Don’t you love all your children equally?! I can’t pick. These totcho toppings are mere suggestions but it’s how I fix mine—you do whatever you want.
Servings: 2 large or 4 small servings Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 35 minutes
- 1 package (about 1lb/453g) frozen tater tots
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 cup tofu scramble or mung bean scramble
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved (about 12 tomatoes)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced jalapeno (about 1 large jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion (white and light green parts)
- Vegan sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread out the tater tots on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until golden brown and very crispy, or bake according to package directions (bake time may vary depending on the brand).
- Gather the tots closer together on the baking sheet to assemble the totchos or transfer them to a square baking dish if you’d rather. Top the tots with half the cheese, then add the scramble, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, remaining cheese, and green onion.
- Broil on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top.
- Drizzle with vegan sour cream and serve.
Adapted from HOT FOR FOOD ALL DAY. Copyright © 2021 by Lauren Toyota. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
Lauren is the author of two bestselling cookbooks Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face and hot for food all day. She’s been named one of Canada’s Most Influential Vegans (Impact Magazine) and has appeared on many national television programs sharing her expertise for making vegan food fast and fun. Lauren’s YouTube channel, Instagram, and website have amassed millions of views and devoted fans.
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!
Sustainably and Carefully Sourced Ingredients Set This Native American-Owned Vegan Bakery Apart
Place an order from Wholesome Bakery in honor of Native American Heritage Month!
8 Vegan Bakeries in Los Angeles
Stock up for the holidays at these sweet stops!
11 Best Cruelty-Free, Vegan Laundry Detergents
Elevate your laundry day with these plant-based brands.
Pomona’s First All-Vegetarian Spot Borreguitas Serves Traditional Mexican Dishes
This powerful story highlights how the Torres family turned their 15-year-old restaurant into Pomona’s first vegetarian spot!
10 Vegan Ice Cream Brands That Ship Nationwide
From sorbet bars and gelato to ice cream sandwiches and cones, these desserts hit the spot!
The Best Store-Bought Vegan Whipped Cream Brands
Elevate your plant-based desserts with these dairy-free whipped toppings.
The Best Store-Bought Vegan Stuffing
These festive, plant-based side dishes were made for inclusive holiday dinners.
13 Vegan Thanksgiving Items from Trader Joe’s
Check out these Trader Joe’s plant-based favorites for Thanksgiving 2022.
Beyond Meat Teams up with American Cancer Society to Advance Cancer Research
The multi-year agreement will aim to advance research on plant-based meat and cancer prevention.
Pinky Cole’s Book Tour Is Coming to Los Angeles Next Week
The Pinky Cole Experience Tour will be making a stop at The Regent Theatre in DTLA this Monday, November 21.