Vegan Breakfast Totchos Recipe
What can I really say about this breakfast contribution except that it’s another tasty way to shovel scramble in your face! If you know me, you know I love tots, perhaps even more than french fries or onion rings … but do I have to pick? Don’t you love all your children equally?! I can’t pick. These totcho toppings are mere suggestions but it’s how I fix mine—you do whatever you want.
Servings: 2 large or 4 small servings Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 35 minutes
- 1 package (about 1lb/453g) frozen tater tots
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 cup tofu scramble or mung bean scramble
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved (about 12 tomatoes)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced jalapeno (about 1 large jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion (white and light green parts)
- Vegan sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread out the tater tots on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until golden brown and very crispy, or bake according to package directions (bake time may vary depending on the brand).
- Gather the tots closer together on the baking sheet to assemble the totchos or transfer them to a square baking dish if you’d rather. Top the tots with half the cheese, then add the scramble, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, remaining cheese, and green onion.
- Broil on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top.
- Drizzle with vegan sour cream and serve.
Adapted from HOT FOR FOOD ALL DAY. Copyright © 2021 by Lauren Toyota. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
Lauren is the author of the bestselling cookbook Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face. She’s been named one of Canada’s Most Influential Vegans (Impact Magazine) and has appeared on many national television programs sharing her expertise for making vegan food fast and fun. Lauren’s YouTube channel, Instagram, and site, hot for food, have amassed millions of views and devoted fans.
More from VegOut
10 Gluten-Free Vegan Snacks That’ll Satisfy Your Cravings
From dips and chips to popcorn and protein bars, these brands have you covered for your gluten-free snacking needs.
New 144-Seat Vegan Restaurant Fancy Plants Kitchen to Open in Chicago
A new all-vegan restaurant is opening in the Lincoln Park neighborhood!
Beyond Meat to Offer Free Vegan Chicken Tenders This Tuesday
In honor of National Chicken Tender Day, Beyond Meat is giving customers a chance to try their new plant-based tenders for free.
New Vegan Vendor Opens at Brooklyn’s DeKalb Market
This new eatery is serving up plantain-based tacos, desserts, and more!
Vegan Meat Brand OZO Launches New Chicken Nuggets, Meatballs, and More
New OZO products including frozen nuggets, meatballs, chicken patties, and fresh versions of the Smokehouse Burger and ground turkey are available this summer.
Where to Find Vegan Asian Cuisine in Denver
Wondering where to find vegan Asian cuisine in Denver? The metro area offers several super tasty options, such as City O’ City with their udon noodle bowl and V Revolution with plant-based dumplings. Just like the population, the vegan community is rapidly growing, and Denver’s restaurant scene has answered the call. Check out our list of top spots to find vegan Asian cuisine in Denver.
New Vegan, Gluten-Free Ice Cream Shop to Open in Portland
Kate’s Ice Cream will be opening a brick-and-mortar scoop shop in North Portland.
Barebells Launches Two Vegan Protein Bar Flavors
The popular protein bar brand is making their plant-based debut with the launch of Salty Peanut and Hazelnut Nougat flavors.
Long John Silver’s Adds Vegan Seafood to Its Menu
Our vegan seafood dreams are coming true as the popular fast-food chain adds two plant-based items to the menu in partnership with Gathered Foods.
Vegan Chicken Nuggets Launch at Costco in Los Angeles
Field Roast will offer an exclusive 24-ounce club pack at Costco stores in the Los Angeles metropolitan area!
The 10 Best Vegan Simmer Sauce Brands
These convenient simmer sauces were made for quick and easy plant-based cooking.
11 Vegan Wedding Gifts for the Eco-Conscious Couple
Don’t let wedding season stress you out—this foolproof list of sustainable vegan wedding gifts has got you covered with ideas ranging from self-watering indoor gardens to chunky vegan blankets.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!