Vegan Breakfast Totchos Recipe
What can I really say about this breakfast contribution except that it’s another tasty way to shovel scramble in your face! If you know me, you know I love tots, perhaps even more than french fries or onion rings … but do I have to pick? Don’t you love all your children equally?! I can’t pick. These totcho toppings are mere suggestions but it’s how I fix mine—you do whatever you want.
Servings: 2 large or 4 small servings Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 35 minutes
- 1 package (about 1lb/453g) frozen tater tots
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 cup tofu scramble or mung bean scramble
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved (about 12 tomatoes)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced jalapeno (about 1 large jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion (white and light green parts)
- Vegan sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread out the tater tots on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until golden brown and very crispy, or bake according to package directions (bake time may vary depending on the brand).
- Gather the tots closer together on the baking sheet to assemble the totchos or transfer them to a square baking dish if you’d rather. Top the tots with half the cheese, then add the scramble, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, remaining cheese, and green onion.
- Broil on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top.
- Drizzle with vegan sour cream and serve.
Adapted from HOT FOR FOOD ALL DAY. Copyright © 2021 by Lauren Toyota. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
Lauren is the author of the bestselling cookbook Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face. She’s been named one of Canada’s Most Influential Vegans (Impact Magazine) and has appeared on many national television programs sharing her expertise for making vegan food fast and fun. Lauren’s YouTube channel, Instagram, and site, hot for food, have amassed millions of views and devoted fans.
More from VegOut
OMG! We’re Obsessed with These Veggie Chips
These good-for-you veggie snacks are a tasty way to eat your vegetables.
7 Spots to Get Pumpkin-Flavored Vegan Eats in NYC
Celebrate the fall season with pumpkin-flavored donuts, pies, soups, and more!
Vegan Tapas and Cocktail Bar Opens in Albany, New York
Bar Vegan is now open for late-night eats, signature cocktails, and live music in Central Square.
Vegan BBQ Pop-Up Coming to Brooklyn, NYC This November
Get a taste of Southern BBQ in Brooklyn, NYC at this new vegan pop-up!
Dough Joy Donuts to Open Brick-and-Mortar in Seattle
The popular Seattle-based vegan food truck has plans to open its first brick-and-mortar location before the end of the year.
Fast-Casual Greek Chain Souvla Adds Plant-Based Lamb to Menu
The San Francisco restaurant launched the vegan lamb at all four of its locations on October 20.
Plant Power Fast Food’s Las Vegas Location Is Now Open
The chain makes vegan versions of fast-food classics from breakfast to dessert!
Pressed Is Launching La Colombe Vegan Cold Brew Smoothies
Give your morning a boost with these convenient, nutrient-dense beverages!
Chicago’s Kale My Name Opening Los Angeles Location with Tabitha Brown
This marks Tabitha Brown’s first vegan restaurant business venture.
Memphis Gets Its First Full-Service Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant
Headed up by celebrity chef Daudi “Da Vegan Guru” McLean, the vegan soul food joint will be Memphis’ first full-service Black-owned vegan restaurant.
The Best Vegan Shrimp Brands
These plant-based shrimps have the taste and texture of traditional seafood!
Cape Coral, Florida’s First Gluten-Free Vegan Restaurant Opens
BJ’s Bites is ready to delight gluten-free, vegan diners.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!