Melt Organic Perfect Fudgy Vegan Brownie Recipe
The only description we need for these brownies is a series of adjectives, because words simply don’t do them justice. So, ahem, here we go: Chewy. Fudgy. Rich. Deep. Sweet and salty. Clouds of chocolatey heaven induced by a pinch of espresso powder and touch of flaky sea salt. Okay, maybe that last one was a little more than an adjective, but you get the point—this is brownie PERFECTION.
Servings: 9-12 brownies Time: Active: 35 minutes, Rest: 5 hours Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 400 grams (about 2 ¼ cups) semisweet chocolate chips (60-70% cacao)
- 255 grams (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) Melt Organic vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 grams (packed 1/4 cup) VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart + 1 cup cold water
- 192 grams (1 cup) cane sugar
- 192 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 57 grams (2 ounces) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- Large sea salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9×9 inch baking pan with Melt Organic butter.
2. Create a “parchment sling” by cutting two pieces of parchment paper wide enough to cover the pan and long enough to hang over each edge by an inch. Then fit both “slings” into the pan, fully covering its surface. Set aside.
3. Sift together flour and cocoa powder into a medium mixing bowl, then sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of salt, as it doesn’t sift well.
4. Add chocolate chips and Melt Organic butter to a large, microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat on high for 45 seconds. Remove, stir thoroughly, and heat for another 45 seconds. Repeat, dropping the time down to 30 seconds after two sessions, until chocolate is completely melted.
5. Stir espresso powder into melted chocolate and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
6. Combine VeganEgg powder, cold water, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk. Beat on medium-high until smooth, light in color, and frothy—about 3 minutes—scraping the bottom and sides with a spatula every couple of minutes to eliminate clumps.
7. Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour in the sugars, going with the white sugar first and brown sugar second. Scrape down the sides and boost speed to high for 3 minutes.
8. Drop speed to low and drizzle in chocolate mixture until smooth. Replace whisk with paddle attachment and add in the dry ingredients. Turn speed to medium and beat until incorporated (~30 seconds), scraping down the sides at least once.
9. Transfer batter to prepped baking pan, spread out with a spatula, and sprinkle with roughly chopped chocolate. Lightly press down to submerge chocolate then place in oven for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and heavily “whack” the bottom of the pan against the counter three times. This creates flat brownies instead of ones with an indented center.
11. Sprinkle on a few pinches of large sea salt flakes and bake for another 30 minutes.
12. Place pan on a cooling rack and rest for at least 4 hours before removing (this is where those parchment slings come in handy), then slice into desired sized pieces and enjoy! Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
RELATED: Domino's Cinna Stix (Vegan Copycat)
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Watch Brand Skagen Just Launched a Sustainable Vegan Leather Collection
What time is it? Time for you to get a new vegan leather watch from Skagen! That’s right, the Danish-inspired accessories brand just launched Aaren Naturals, an eco-friendly watch line featuring leather alternatives made with bio-based materials like apples.
Taco Bell Is Officially Testing Vegan Meat in Southern California
After an unpopular decision to skim its menu back in the summer of 2020—which included a seven-month potato hiatus—Taco Bell is working on a transformational, vegan-friendly addition. The chain announced this week that it is actively testing a vegan meat alternative made from a proprietary blend of peas and garbanzo beans.
Silk Is Offering Free Climate Counseling for Earth Day
This Earth Day, Silk, leading plant-based beverage brand, is offering free eco-counseling for those struggling with climate anxiety.
10 Zero Waste Bath and Beauty Brands to Shop for Earth Day
Every day is Earth Day when you’re eating plants, but how do you take that eco-commitment one step further and incorporate more reusable and earth-friendly products into your home? With this handy list, that’s how! Whether it’s haircare, body or bum care, period protection, or more, these brands have what you need to reduce your impact on the environment. Here’s our list of 10 brands where you can find zero waste items for your bath and beauty needs.
10 Eco-Friendly Restaurants in America
You know we love any restaurant that provides stellar vegan options. This Earth Day, though, we want to focus on restaurants around the country that go above and beyond when it comes to doing good for the environment. From sourcing local, regeneratively farmed ingredients, to powering the restaurant with renewable energy, here are some eco-conscious spots we think you should have on your radar.
10 Spots for Vegan Pizza in Metro Detroit
A slice of cheesy pizza goodness always hits the spot! Metro Detroit is known for its wide variety of pies, including Detroit-style, thin-crust, and Napoletana. There are so many options to delight your taste buds! Whether you’re planning a night in or going out, check out these 10 spots for vegan-friendly pizza in Metro Detroit.
13 Sustainable Activewear Brands We Love
Whether you’re an avid runner or yoga enthusiast, having comfy and eco-friendly athletic wear at your disposal is always a plus. From flexible leggings to colorful crop tops, you’ll be sure to find pieces to fit your active lifestyle. Here are 13 sustainable activewear brands to add to your wardrobe today!
Beyond Meat and Tinder to Send 500 Singles on Plant-Based Dates This Earth Day
Dating for vegan singles just got a whole lot easier thanks to the team at Beyond Meat and Tinder!
10 Essential Spots for Vegan Burgers in Chicago
Are you a fan of housemade or Impossible burgers? These Windy City restaurants have got you covered! Here are 10 spots to find vegan burgers in Chicago. (Don’t forget to wear your stretchy pants!)
10 Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Tampa, FL
Whether you’re taking a trip to Busch Gardens or exploring the historic Ybor neighborhood, Tampa has no shortage of plant-based options when hunger strikes. From burgers with cheese whiz to beautifully plated Mediterranean dishes, Tampa has become a destination for both vegans and foodies alike. Here are 10 vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants to check out in Tampa, FL!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!