Melt Organic Perfect Fudgy Vegan Brownie Recipe
The only description we need for these brownies is a series of adjectives, because words simply don’t do them justice. So, ahem, here we go: Chewy. Fudgy. Rich. Deep. Sweet and salty. Clouds of chocolatey heaven induced by a pinch of espresso powder and touch of flaky sea salt. Okay, maybe that last one was a little more than an adjective, but you get the point—this is brownie PERFECTION.
Servings: 9-12 brownies Time: Active: 35 minutes, Rest: 5 hours Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 400 grams (about 2 ¼ cups) semisweet chocolate chips (60-70% cacao)
- 255 grams (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) Melt Organic vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 grams (packed 1/4 cup) VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart + 1 cup cold water
- 192 grams (1 cup) cane sugar
- 192 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 57 grams (2 ounces) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- Large sea salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9×9 inch baking pan with Melt Organic butter.
2. Create a “parchment sling” by cutting two pieces of parchment paper wide enough to cover the pan and long enough to hang over each edge by an inch. Then fit both “slings” into the pan, fully covering its surface. Set aside.
3. Sift together flour and cocoa powder into a medium mixing bowl, then sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of salt, as it doesn’t sift well.
4. Add chocolate chips and Melt Organic butter to a large, microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat on high for 45 seconds. Remove, stir thoroughly, and heat for another 45 seconds. Repeat, dropping the time down to 30 seconds after two sessions, until chocolate is completely melted.
5. Stir espresso powder into melted chocolate and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
6. Combine VeganEgg powder, cold water, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk. Beat on medium-high until smooth, light in color, and frothy—about 3 minutes—scraping the bottom and sides with a spatula every couple of minutes to eliminate clumps.
7. Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour in the sugars, going with the white sugar first and brown sugar second. Scrape down the sides and boost speed to high for 3 minutes.
8. Drop speed to low and drizzle in chocolate mixture until smooth. Replace whisk with paddle attachment and add in the dry ingredients. Turn speed to medium and beat until incorporated (~30 seconds), scraping down the sides at least once.
9. Transfer batter to prepped baking pan, spread out with a spatula, and sprinkle with roughly chopped chocolate. Lightly press down to submerge chocolate then place in oven for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and heavily “whack” the bottom of the pan against the counter three times. This creates flat brownies instead of ones with an indented center.
11. Sprinkle on a few pinches of large sea salt flakes and bake for another 30 minutes.
12. Place pan on a cooling rack and rest for at least 4 hours before removing (this is where those parchment slings come in handy), then slice into desired sized pieces and enjoy! Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
RELATED: Domino's Cinna Stix (Vegan Copycat)
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Plant-Based Latin Kitchen La Semilla Now Open in Atlanta
This Latin kitchen is full of color, light, and delicious scratch-made dishes.
The Best Vegan Valentine’s Day Candy to Buy This Year
It’s love at first bite!
Brooklyn’s Beloved Champs Diner to Permanently Close This Weekend
The iconic vegan diner is closing up shop after 12 years of service.
9 Vegan Beauty Brands You Can Find at Target
Don’t forget to add these vegan beauty brands to your Target shopping list!
Vegan McDonald’s Dupe Now Open in San Francisco
Mr. Charlie’s is bringing the nostalgic fast-food vibes to the Bay Area!
Maya’s Cookies Launches 2023 Black History Month Collection
Enjoy this tasty tribute to Black and female excellence.
Protein Bar & Kitchen Launches Vegan Menu Featuring Abbot’s Butcher Chicken
Seven plant-based Chopped Chick’n menu items were just added to all Chicago locations.
The Best Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Food Trucks in Orlando, Florida
From mac ‘n’ cheese donuts to Ethiopian stews and ice cream treats, Orlando has it all.
New Black-Owned Vegan Test Kitchen Opens in San Antonio, Texas
The plant-based test kitchen features restaurant-quality Italian cuisine through takeout, delivery, and nationwide shipping.
The 10 Best Vegan Ready-to-Drink Protein Shakes
Keep these protein-packed drinks on hand for a tasty and convenient way to meet your nutritional needs.
The Best Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
You need these tasty vegan munchies at your game day celebration!
UC Berkeley’s Plant Futures Symposium Is Back for 2023
This year’s theme is Paving Plant-Based Pathways: Empowering the Next Generation of Food System Leaders.