Melt Organic Perfect Fudgy Vegan Brownie Recipe
The only description we need for these brownies is a series of adjectives, because words simply don’t do them justice. So, ahem, here we go: Chewy. Fudgy. Rich. Deep. Sweet and salty. Clouds of chocolatey heaven induced by a pinch of espresso powder and touch of flaky sea salt. Okay, maybe that last one was a little more than an adjective, but you get the point—this is brownie PERFECTION.
Servings: 9-12 brownies Time: Active: 35 minutes, Rest: 5 hours Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 400 grams (about 2 ¼ cups) semisweet chocolate chips (60-70% cacao)
- 255 grams (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) Melt Organic vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 grams (packed 1/4 cup) VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart + 1 cup cold water
- 192 grams (1 cup) cane sugar
- 192 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 57 grams (2 ounces) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- Large sea salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9×9 inch baking pan with Melt Organic butter.
2. Create a “parchment sling” by cutting two pieces of parchment paper wide enough to cover the pan and long enough to hang over each edge by an inch. Then fit both “slings” into the pan, fully covering its surface. Set aside.
3. Sift together flour and cocoa powder into a medium mixing bowl, then sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of salt, as it doesn’t sift well.
4. Add chocolate chips and Melt Organic butter to a large, microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat on high for 45 seconds. Remove, stir thoroughly, and heat for another 45 seconds. Repeat, dropping the time down to 30 seconds after two sessions, until chocolate is completely melted.
5. Stir espresso powder into melted chocolate and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
6. Combine VeganEgg powder, cold water, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk. Beat on medium-high until smooth, light in color, and frothy—about 3 minutes—scraping the bottom and sides with a spatula every couple of minutes to eliminate clumps.
7. Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour in the sugars, going with the white sugar first and brown sugar second. Scrape down the sides and boost speed to high for 3 minutes.
8. Drop speed to low and drizzle in chocolate mixture until smooth. Replace whisk with paddle attachment and add in the dry ingredients. Turn speed to medium and beat until incorporated (~30 seconds), scraping down the sides at least once.
9. Transfer batter to prepped baking pan, spread out with a spatula, and sprinkle with roughly chopped chocolate. Lightly press down to submerge chocolate then place in oven for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and heavily “whack” the bottom of the pan against the counter three times. This creates flat brownies instead of ones with an indented center.
11. Sprinkle on a few pinches of large sea salt flakes and bake for another 30 minutes.
12. Place pan on a cooling rack and rest for at least 4 hours before removing (this is where those parchment slings come in handy), then slice into desired sized pieces and enjoy! Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
RELATED: Domino's Cinna Stix (Vegan Copycat)
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
8 Easy Food Swaps to Make for Plastic-Free July
Grab those reusable bags, we’re going on a plastic-free food hunt!
This Pittsburgh Restaurant and Jazz Bar Is Now 100% Vegan
Con Alma is every vegan music-lover's dream!
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
Vegan Rainbow Treats That Ship Nationwide for Pride Month
Check out these delicious rainbow sweet treats and drinks that are celebrating Pride all month long!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!