How to Make Vegan Pound Cake
A fine crumb, buttery flavor, and moist interior make this pound cake impressive enough to fool any hardcore traditionalist. A zesty lemon glaze is the metaphorical cherry on top of this classic dessert.
Servings: One 10-inch Bundt cake Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 16 oz cake flour, sifted
- 16 oz Melt Organic vegan butter
- 16 oz vegan-friendly white sugar*
- 16 oz VeganEgg (13.75 oz cold water + 2.25 oz VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6.35 oz (1 ½ cups) powdered sugar*
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 10 inch nonstick bundt pan, dust it with cake flour to coat, and shake out any excess. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder with cold water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Sift cake powder into a large bowl or flexible cutting board (for easy pouring later on) and set aside for now.
4. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk. Start on medium-low speed until mixture comes together, then boost speed to high and cream until fluffy and light in color. Scrape down the sides with a spatula every minute or so; about 4 minutes in total.
5. Add VeganEgg into butter mixture in three batches, mixing each one in until smooth before adding the next. Once incorporated, scrape down the sides, add vanilla and salt, and beat on high for 2-3 minutes to incorporate more air.
6. Stop the mixer, add in 1/3 of the flour, turn speed to low until just incorporated, then boost to medium speed until mostly smooth. Repeat for remaining batches, scraping the sides after the third batch.
7. After you add the third batch, mix until just smooth (be sure not to over mix as to avoid gluten formation), then pour batter into prepped cake pan. Smooth out the top, place in oven, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean; 1 hr – 1 hr 15 min.
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then use a paring knife to go around the edges of the cake to make sure it's not stuck to the pan. Invert cake onto a cooling rack and rest until completely cool; about 4 hours.
9. Assemble glaze by whisking together lemon juice, lemon zest, and powdered sugar until smooth, adding powdered sugar in three batches to ensure easy whisking.
10. Pour glaze over cake, slice, and enjoy! Store covered at room temperature for 3 days.
*Many bleached products such as white flour and sugar are processed using animal bone char, which obviously isn't vegan. However, some brands such as Sprouts label their products with the "certified vegan" stamp, ensuring it was produced without animal products.
*For powdered sugar, also check to ensure vegan friendliness. Pro tip: organic versions are always vegan.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Chocolate Bars You Need to Try
They say that money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate! As far as we’re concerned, that’s pretty close. After all, who doesn’t love a good ole chocolate bar? The beauty of chocolate is that no matter your preference, there’s an option for everyone. Check out this list of our favorite picks from “milk” to dark and everything in between. Here are 10 vegan chocolate bars you need to try!
9 Vegan Breakfast Sausages to Start Your Morning Right
No homemade weekend brunch is complete without one of these vegan breakfast sausages. Whether you’re wrapping some scrambled tofu and home fries into a flour tortilla, cooking up that veganized version of biscuits and gravy, or thawing a frozen JUST Egg Folded, you’re going to want some plant-based patties, links, or soyrizo to complete the meal. Here’s our list of top 9 breakfast sausages to start your day.
The 10 Hottest Vegan Pop-Up Restaurants Nationwide
Your votes have been tallied for the 2021 VegOut Awards, and we’ve rounded up the official results in the “Best Pop-Ups Nationwide” category. These 10 spots are worth following, tracking down, setting reminders in your calendar, and rallying behind at vegan festivals. So without further ado, here are your favorite pop-ups for 2021!
Impossible Meat to Be Served in Select California, Washington, and Oklahoma K-12 Schools
In another stride toward connecting the country’s youth to steps toward climate change, Impossible Foods has secured accreditation to be served in K-12 schools!
Italian Vegan Burger Chain Opens Ghost Kitchen in Culver City Today
Italy-based vegan burger chain—Flower Burger—just opened its first North America location in Culver City. The vibrant-hued quick-service restaurant will begin as a ghost kitchen with plans to open a brick-and-mortar later this summer.
Tyson Launches Plant-Based Burgers, Bratwursts, and Italian Sausages for Summer
Tyson Foods, leading meat producer in the US, launches a new line of plant-based meats just in time for summer!
Harmless Harvest Aims for 50% Carbon Reduction by 2025
Harmless Harvest, known for delivering the first-ever minimally processed organic coconut water in the United States, is now striving to become a carbon-neutral corporation. The eco-conscious company is set to achieve a 50% reduction in greenhouse gases by 2025. The progressive producer offers a variety of organic, ethically sourced coconut products, including coconut waters, smoothie drinks, and plant-based yogurts made without pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
Lightlife Ditches Egg, Goes Entirely Vegan with New Reformulated Products
Lightlife, the brand known for its plant-based hot dogs, goes fully vegan with reformulated products!
NYC’s Boom Boom Brow Bar Launches Vegan Eyebrow Makeup Line
Boom Boom Brow Bar, NYC’s first walk-in brow bar that has been serving clients with vegan and cruelty-free looks since 2008, has launched a line of vegan and cruelty-free brow products.
Eleven Madison Park Is Reopening as an All-Vegan Restaurant
This June, NYC’s three-Michelin-starred restaurant—Eleven Madison Park (EMP)—will reopen with a new, 100% plant-based menu. Owner and chef, Daniel Humm, recently announced the relaunch is set for June 10.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!