How to Make Vegan Pound Cake
A fine crumb, buttery flavor, and moist interior make this pound cake impressive enough to fool any hardcore traditionalist. A zesty lemon glaze is the metaphorical cherry on top of this classic dessert.
Servings: One 10-inch Bundt cake Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 16 oz cake flour, sifted
- 16 oz Melt Organic vegan butter
- 16 oz vegan-friendly white sugar*
- 16 oz VeganEgg (13.75 oz cold water + 2.25 oz VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6.35 oz (1 ½ cups) powdered sugar*
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 10 inch nonstick bundt pan, dust it with cake flour to coat, and shake out any excess. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder with cold water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Sift cake powder into a large bowl or flexible cutting board (for easy pouring later on) and set aside for now.
4. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk. Start on medium-low speed until mixture comes together, then boost speed to high and cream until fluffy and light in color. Scrape down the sides with a spatula every minute or so; about 4 minutes in total.
5. Add VeganEgg into butter mixture in three batches, mixing each one in until smooth before adding the next. Once incorporated, scrape down the sides, add vanilla and salt, and beat on high for 2-3 minutes to incorporate more air.
6. Stop the mixer, add in 1/3 of the flour, turn speed to low until just incorporated, then boost to medium speed until mostly smooth. Repeat for remaining batches, scraping the sides after the third batch.
7. After you add the third batch, mix until just smooth (be sure not to over mix as to avoid gluten formation), then pour batter into prepped cake pan. Smooth out the top, place in oven, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean; 1 hr – 1 hr 15 min.
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then use a paring knife to go around the edges of the cake to make sure it's not stuck to the pan. Invert cake onto a cooling rack and rest until completely cool; about 4 hours.
9. Assemble glaze by whisking together lemon juice, lemon zest, and powdered sugar until smooth, adding powdered sugar in three batches to ensure easy whisking.
10. Pour glaze over cake, slice, and enjoy! Store covered at room temperature for 3 days.
*Many bleached products such as white flour and sugar are processed using animal bone char, which obviously isn't vegan. However, some brands such as Sprouts label their products with the "certified vegan" stamp, ensuring it was produced without animal products.
*For powdered sugar, also check to ensure vegan friendliness. Pro tip: organic versions are always vegan.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!