How to Make Vegan Pound Cake
A fine crumb, buttery flavor, and moist interior make this pound cake impressive enough to fool any hardcore traditionalist. A zesty lemon glaze is the metaphorical cherry on top of this classic dessert.
Servings: One 10-inch Bundt cake Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 16 oz cake flour, sifted
- 16 oz Melt Organic vegan butter
- 16 oz vegan-friendly white sugar*
- 16 oz VeganEgg (13.75 oz cold water + 2.25 oz VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6.35 oz (1 ½ cups) powdered sugar*
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 10 inch nonstick bundt pan, dust it with cake flour to coat, and shake out any excess. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder with cold water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Sift cake powder into a large bowl or flexible cutting board (for easy pouring later on) and set aside for now.
4. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk. Start on medium-low speed until mixture comes together, then boost speed to high and cream until fluffy and light in color. Scrape down the sides with a spatula every minute or so; about 4 minutes in total.
5. Add VeganEgg into butter mixture in three batches, mixing each one in until smooth before adding the next. Once incorporated, scrape down the sides, add vanilla and salt, and beat on high for 2-3 minutes to incorporate more air.
6. Stop the mixer, add in 1/3 of the flour, turn speed to low until just incorporated, then boost to medium speed until mostly smooth. Repeat for remaining batches, scraping the sides after the third batch.
7. After you add the third batch, mix until just smooth (be sure not to over mix as to avoid gluten formation), then pour batter into prepped cake pan. Smooth out the top, place in oven, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean; 1 hr – 1 hr 15 min.
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then use a paring knife to go around the edges of the cake to make sure it's not stuck to the pan. Invert cake onto a cooling rack and rest until completely cool; about 4 hours.
9. Assemble glaze by whisking together lemon juice, lemon zest, and powdered sugar until smooth, adding powdered sugar in three batches to ensure easy whisking.
10. Pour glaze over cake, slice, and enjoy! Store covered at room temperature for 3 days.
*Many bleached products such as white flour and sugar are processed using animal bone char, which obviously isn't vegan. However, some brands such as Sprouts label their products with the "certified vegan" stamp, ensuring it was produced without animal products.
*For powdered sugar, also check to ensure vegan friendliness. Pro tip: organic versions are always vegan.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Vegan Mob Expands to San Francisco and San Jose
Much to the excitement of those living in the Bay Area, the popular Oakland vegan soul food restaurant Vegan Mob is expanding to two new locations. A brick-and-mortar in San Jose will be located at 949 Ruff Drive and is expected to start taking pickup and delivery orders by the second week of March. The San Francisco location will be a permanent home for the Vegan Mob food truck at the intersection of Valencia and 18th. You can catch the truck Tuesdays-Sundays from 11am-9pm starting March 20th.
Coconut Bliss Launches Single Serve Vegan Ice Cream Cups
We’ve come full circle, and individual ice cream cups are officially back … veganized, of course! The popular vegan ice cream brand Coconut Bliss has announced a new line of single serve cups (sans wooden spoon), available in two of their most popular flavors: Dark Chocolate and Madagascar Vanilla Bean. The cups will come in a four-pack, and will be available on the Coconut Bliss website and at retailers nationwide.
Easy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
I love this soup because it’s creamy, savory and so easy to make. It’s hearty, healthy, and comforting. The creaminess of the white beans and the umami flavors from the miso paste and liquid smoke is really what makes this soup extra special!
Peet’s Coffee Debuts Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Nationwide Today
Peet’s Coffee just launched an all-vegan breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat and JUST Egg—and it’s available nationwide starting TODAY!
New Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant Opens in Dallas Area
A new Black-owned brick-and-mortar has opened in Irving, Texas and we’ve got the inside scoop on the fire Southern eats!
Pinky Cole Opens Vegan Cheesesteak Concept Inside Atlanta’s Bar Vegan
Pinky Cole—founder of the renowned Slutty Vegan—has teamed up with Derrick Hayes of Big Dave’s (another popular Atlanta eatery) to open Dinkies, a plant-based cheesesteak concept.
6 Vegan-Friendly Ethiopian Restaurants in Los Angeles
If your parents ever told you to stop eating your food with your hands, Ethiopian food is for you! Injera (a spongy flatbread) comes with most dishes, and it’s absolutely encouraged and customary in Ethiopian dining to use it as a vehicle to scoop up each delicious and flavor-packed bite. Not only that, but nearly half the population of Ethiopia are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who traditionally eat vegan on Wednesdays, Fridays, and other fasting days, totaling over 200+ days per year. We’re rounding up some of LA’s best spots to try this vegan-friendly cuisine below!
Chicago’s Kitchen 17 Now Ships Vegan Deep-Dish Pizza to All 50 States
Kitchen 17—a Chicago-based vegan pizza joint—has expanded the shipping radius for their signature frozen deep-dish pizzas. The restaurant is now offering their house-made frozen pizzas shipped to all 50 states.
Forager Project Launches New Line of Vegan Cheese
Forager Project just dropped a new line of vegan cheese using their fan-favorite probiotic cashew milk yogurt!
13 Vegan Frozen Meals for Your Busy Life
You’re busy, we get it, but you still gotta eat, and you gotta eat well. On any other night you might whip up an IG-worthy dish like the veganista/isto/istx you are or you might order your go-to Uber Eats, but not tonight. Tonight you reach into your freezer and pull out a plant-based frozen dinner that will be ready in an instant. We aren’t talking any old freezer meal; we’re talking tasty, actually-looks-like-what’s-on-the-package meals from your friendly freezer.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!