How to Make Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lightly caramelized bottoms, soft and chewy interiors, brown sugary depth, and melty chocolate chips throughout make these the vegan chocolate chip cookies of your dreams.
Servings: 10 cookies Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
Cookie Quick Tips
- Combining brown sugar and white sugar creates an optimal texture, as brown sugar ups the moistness while white sugar encourages crispiness.The molasses from brown sugar also adds depth of flavor, which will accentuate the chocolate.
- Espresso powder is included to heighten chocolate’s chocolately-ness, giving the cookies an irresistible lingering taste that’ll keep you coming back for more. It does NOT make the cookies taste like coffee!
- Baking soda makes flatter, crispier cookies instead of the round, cakey treats that baking powder produces.
- Baking at 375 degrees, as opposed to 350, lends the cookies’ exterior with a pleasant crisp before the interior gets a chance to overcook. The higher heat also caramelizes the sugars, which adds more flavor.
- VeganEgg can be substituted with JUST Egg (see note below directions for more details).
- 112 grams (½ cup) Melt Organic vegan butter
- 96 grams (½ cup) brown sugar
- 48 grams (¼ cup) vegan-friendly white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon packed VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart + 1 tablespoon cold water*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon espresso powder
- 180 grams (1 ½ cups) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup 50-65% chocolate chips
- Large sea salt flakes, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375° F, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, and position both of your oven racks towards the center of your oven.
2. Sift flour and baking soda together into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder, cold water, vanilla, and espresso powder until smooth. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk), beat brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and ½ cup of Melt Organic butter together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), scraping down the sides at least once throughout.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the egg mixture until smooth.
6. Add in the dry ingredients all at once, beat on low until incorporated, then boost the speed to medium until smooth, scraping down the sides once halfway through. Add in chocolate chips and mix on medium speed for about 15 seconds or until they’re evenly distributed.
7. Scoop out a 2 oz (~¼ cup) portion of dough, form it into a ball, place it on prepped cookie sheets, and flatten lightly. Repeat for rest of dough.
8. Ensure the cookies have at least 2 inches of space between them as they’ll spread out during baking—about 5 per sheet.
9. Place pans in oven (one on lower rack, one on upper rack) and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven, switch and rotate pans (thus ensuring even cooking), and bake for 3 more minutes.
10. Note: When they come out of the oven, the middle will be gooey; that’s okay because they’ll firm up as they cool. If the center is cooked through when they come out, they’ll be overcooked once they cool.
11. Transfer parchment paper directly to a cooling rack until completely cool—about 30 minutes. Enjoy while fresh or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days!
*The VeganEgg + water can be replaced by 2 tablespoons of JUST Egg.
RELATED: Domino's Cinna Stix (Vegan Copycat)
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Meal Delivery Services to Try in 2022
These meal delivery companies have everything you need to get the new year started on a healthy note.
Selling Sunset Star Emma Leigh Hernan Launches Frozen Vegan Empanada Brand
This new plant-based frozen food company has snacktime covered.
5 Vegan Honey Brands to Try
Life is sweet with these cruelty-free, vegan honey alternatives.
Unbelievably Vegan: An Interview with Charity Morgan
This celebrity chef is dishing up details about her family’s transition to a plant-based lifestyle and sharing tidbits from her new cookbook, Unbelievably Vegan.
14 Best Vegan Protein Bars
These plant-based protein bars will unite gym rats and busy bees alike!
Former Starbucks Executive Joins Plant Power Fast Food
The rapidly expanding fast-food chain names Steve Figliola as new Chief Development Officer.
Wanderlust Creamery Is Scooping Ube and Pavlova Vegan Ice Cream Flavors This Month
Run, don’t walk to your nearest location to try these limited-edition flavors!
Copper Branch Launches Limited-Time Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich
The Canada-based restaurant chain will be the first Canadian restaurant to carry Atlas Monroe’s plant-based fried chicken.
Restaurants and Brands Offering Veganuary Specials Nationwide
Veganuary has never been easier with all of these specials!
Busting the Vegan Protein Myth Once and for All
Where do vegans get their protein? Glad you asked. We’ve got answers.
Try These Limited-Edition Vegan Items in Chicago This Veganuary
From salads and sushi to donuts and cinnamon rolls, there are many amazing vegan dishes to try this month.
Portland Vegan Pop-Up Mis Tacones to Open Brick-and-Mortar Next Month
The queer and Chicanx-owned vegan taqueria pop-up has been a part of the Portland food scene since 2016.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!