How to Make Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lightly caramelized bottoms, soft and chewy interiors, brown sugary depth, and melty chocolate chips throughout make these the vegan chocolate chip cookies of your dreams.
Servings: 10 cookies Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
Cookie Quick Tips
- Combining brown sugar and white sugar creates an optimal texture, as brown sugar ups the moistness while white sugar encourages crispiness.The molasses from brown sugar also adds depth of flavor, which will accentuate the chocolate.
- Espresso powder is included to heighten chocolate’s chocolately-ness, giving the cookies an irresistible lingering taste that’ll keep you coming back for more. It does NOT make the cookies taste like coffee!
- Baking soda makes flatter, crispier cookies instead of the round, cakey treats that baking powder produces.
- Baking at 375 degrees, as opposed to 350, lends the cookies’ exterior with a pleasant crisp before the interior gets a chance to overcook. The higher heat also caramelizes the sugars, which adds more flavor.
- VeganEgg can be substituted with JUST Egg (see note below directions for more details).
- 112 grams (½ cup) Melt Organic vegan butter
- 96 grams (½ cup) brown sugar
- 48 grams (¼ cup) vegan-friendly white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon packed VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart + 1 tablespoon cold water*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon espresso powder
- 180 grams (1 ½ cups) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup 50-65% chocolate chips
- Large sea salt flakes, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375° F, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, and position both of your oven racks towards the center of your oven.
2. Sift flour and baking soda together into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder, cold water, vanilla, and espresso powder until smooth. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk), beat brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and ½ cup of Melt Organic butter together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), scraping down the sides at least once throughout.
5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the egg mixture until smooth.
6. Add in the dry ingredients all at once, beat on low until incorporated, then boost the speed to medium until smooth, scraping down the sides once halfway through. Add in chocolate chips and mix on medium speed for about 15 seconds or until they’re evenly distributed.
7. Scoop out a 2 oz (~¼ cup) portion of dough, form it into a ball, place it on prepped cookie sheets, and flatten lightly. Repeat for rest of dough.
8. Ensure the cookies have at least 2 inches of space between them as they’ll spread out during baking—about 5 per sheet.
9. Place pans in oven (one on lower rack, one on upper rack) and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven, switch and rotate pans (thus ensuring even cooking), and bake for 3 more minutes.
10. Note: When they come out of the oven, the middle will be gooey; that’s okay because they’ll firm up as they cool. If the center is cooked through when they come out, they’ll be overcooked once they cool.
11. Transfer parchment paper directly to a cooling rack until completely cool—about 30 minutes. Enjoy while fresh or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days!
*The VeganEgg + water can be replaced by 2 tablespoons of JUST Egg.
RELATED: Domino's Cinna Stix (Vegan Copycat)
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!
Sustainably and Carefully Sourced Ingredients Set This Native American-Owned Vegan Bakery Apart
Place an order from Wholesome Bakery in honor of Native American Heritage Month!
8 Vegan Bakeries in Los Angeles
Stock up for the holidays at these sweet stops!
11 Best Cruelty-Free, Vegan Laundry Detergents
Elevate your laundry day with these plant-based brands.
Pomona’s First All-Vegetarian Spot Borreguitas Serves Traditional Mexican Dishes
This powerful story highlights how the Torres family turned their 15-year-old restaurant into Pomona’s first vegetarian spot!