Experiencing digestive distress? These foods may help provide relief.
There is no doubt digestion is a hot topic right now. And for good reason. While there are chronic conditions that affect the digestive tract that may warrant medical treatment, you may be able to improve some of your symptoms through lifestyle and diet modifications. Why does this matter? Because it’s hard to be your best self when you’re experiencing issues with your belly and digestion. While digestive issues are broad, distress can occur in various areas of the digestive tract. These include abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, indigestion, sour stomach, and heartburn. Although each ailment may require a different dietary modification, there are certain foods that can lend the gut a helping hand. Here’s a list of plant-based foods that can aid digestion.
Plant-Based Foods That Aid Digestion
- The Basics: The synergistic combination of fiber and hydration can go a long way in ensuring good digestion. A variety of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, greens, and fruits is ideal. Specific fiber-rich foods for improved digestion may include fennel, apples, prunes, and pears. Note: Those struggling with bloating and IBS-like symptoms may feel better when eating lower fructose fruits and vegetables.
- Fermented Foods: Kimchi, kombucha, fermented sauerkraut, various soy foods like tempeh and miso, and specific apple cider vinegars have active cultures that may help maintain gut health.
- Whole and Ground Seeds: Chia, flax, and hemp seeds are great sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. They may also have a beneficial effect on proper digestion.
- Digestive Enzymes: Foods like papaya and pineapple contain natural digestive enzymes. This may help break down certain foods, making digestion easier on the body.
- Herbal Teas: Teas containing mint, fennel, dandelion, ginger, and licorice may help soothe upset stomachs and promote better digestion.
- Soothing Foods: Consuming ingredients like peppermint and ginger may be helpful for soothing stomachs and improving heartburn.
So, what exactly is heartburn? Heartburn is a burning sensation or discomfort in the upper chest, neck, and throat. But it is not actually related to your heart! The condition can be caused by acid reflux. This occurs when stomach acid flows upward into the esophagus. While the condition has a host of causes, food and lifestyle changes may help lessen the frequency and severity.
Lifestyle improvements include eating mindfully and not when stressed. They also include chewing food well, avoiding large meals, not skipping meals, keeping alcohol to a minimum, and waiting a few hours between dinner and bedtime. Another recommendation is to avoid trigger foods. While everyone is different, common trigger foods include high-fat and fried foods, spicy and acidic foods, alcohol, carbonation, and caffeine. While avoiding all of the above may help keep heartburn from occurring, if you’re a foodie, that list can be hard to swallow. Although mint and ginger may provide some soothing effects, sometimes it’s not enough. Taking an antacid can be a great option for getting relief.
Antacids help with sour stomach, indigestion, upset stomach, and heartburn relief, as they help neutralize stomach acid. But when it comes to selecting an antacid, which do you choose? Right now, we are loving the better-for-you, vegan-friendly antacids from Wonderbelly.
Wonderbelly is your new go-to antacid for heartburn relief. Founded by Lucas Kraft, who suffers from chronic heartburn himself, the brand is not a supplement but an over-the-counter (OTC) medication. Wonderbelly contains 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate, the same FDA-approved active ingredient found in leading antacid brands like TUMS. But more importantly, Wonderbelly doesn’t use the questionable inactive ingredients found in its retail brand competitors’ products.
Other antacids often contain talc, polypropylene, sucralose, artificial colors, titanium dioxide, and corn syrup solids. Wonderbelly is not only free from talc, but it has no artificial dyes, flavors, and sweeteners as well. The product is Non-GMO Project-verified and vegan, gluten-free, and free from common allergens. Wonderbelly is manufactured in a GMP facility in the US and has a staff of industry-leading medical advisors. The brand offers three delicious flavors, including Citrus Mint, Strawberry Milkshake, and Watermelon Mint. Fruity combinations and better-for-you ingredients? It’s just what the doctor ordered!
While Wonderbelly is an OTC medication, it is not available in retail stores at this time. If Wonderbelly were in retail, however, you would find it near items such as pain relievers or aspirin. For now, find Wonderbelly antacids online at Wonderbelly.com. You can even order it from your couch. And we are here for that convenience! Taking it up yet another notch on the wheel of ease, Wonderbelly offers a subscription service. So you’ll never have to go without digestive relief again.
A Plastic-Free Company
And as if things couldn’t get any better, the company is 100% plastic-free. This includes all product packaging. And all shipping products are made from recycled materials. For more from this better-for-your brand, check out Wonderbelly on Instagram at @itswonderbelly.
Disclosure: Material presented here is intended to serve informational purposes regarding the topics of food, nutrition, and wellness. This content should not substitute for medical advice or diagnosis. For therapeutic attention, alert your care team.