Vegan Primavera Mac & Cheese Recipe
This cheesy vegan mac is perfect for the holiday season. Enjoy as a side, or garnish with all the toppings for a festive entree.
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp white miso paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Pasta and Vegetables
- 16 ounces tricolor rotini, or other small pasta
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach, arugula, or watercress
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ¼ cup roasted hulled sunflower seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Handful small basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, combine the potato, carrot, garlic, and cashews with enough water to cover. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking water. Drain, then transfer the cooked vegetables and cashews to a high-speed blender along with the reserved cooking water.
- Add the nutritional yeast, olive oil, paprika, miso, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- To make the pasta and vegetables: Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. About 5 minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the pot. Drain the pasta and broccoli, and return to the pot.
- Place the pot over low heat and add the scallions, spinach, and cherry tomatoes. Toss to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the past and vegetables. Toss to combine, and heat through. Transfer to a large serving dish. Serve hot. Garnish, as desired, with sunflower seeds and basil.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
Freebirds World Burrito Adds Vegan Chorizo to Menu
Abbot’s Butcher’s plant-based chorizo and Siete Family Foods’ grain-free tortillas are now available at all Freebirds locations.
Starbucks Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Frappuccinos
The bottled Frappuccinos are available in two new flavors and will be rolling out at retailers over the course of 2022.
The Best Body Lotions for Dry Winter Skin
Harsh winter weather calls for luxurious lotions!
An Interview with AFI’s Davey Havok
Lead singer of punk rock band AFI, Davey Havok is no stranger to veganism—having been vegan for over two decades. As part of the straight edge community in the 90s, he was heavily influenced by its members who also abstained from the use of animal products. In 2021, AFI released their new album, Bodies. We chatted with Havok to learn more about his music career and vegan lifestyle.
Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
These plant-based snacks are perfect for your game-day celebration!
Panda Express Is Testing Two Beyond Beef Dishes in Pasadena Starting Today
Panda Express is veganizing more American Chinese classics!
PLNT Burger’s 10th Location Opens in New York City
This all-vegan burger spot has expanded to NYC’s Union Square.
LA’s Pizzanista Launches Joan Jett Heart-Shaped Vegan Pizza
LA’s Pizzanista has collaborated with Miyoko’s Creamery and PETA to honor rock legend and animal rights activist Joan Jett with a limited-edition heart-shaped pizza in a Joan Jett-decorated box.
Pret a Manger Launches Vegan Meatball Wrap in US
The vegan meatball wrap is the first meat alternative option offered by the brand in the US.
LA’s Taco Vega Is Permanently Closing
The popular LA-based vegan restaurant will be closing its doors on Wednesday, January 26 after one year of service.
Add This Must-Try Vegan Protein Powder to Your Post-Workout Shake
We’re starting off 2022 on a fit note with this plant-based protein powder!
McDonald’s Expands McPlant Test to 600 US Locations
The vegan burger will be available in the San Francisco Bay and Dallas-Fort Worth areas beginning February 14 for a limited time.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!