Easy One Pan Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe
Lightly seared tofu is seasoned with fragrant black pepper, deep soy sauce, and sharp vegan parmesan, then tossed with crisp red peppers, spicy garlic, and fresh spinach.
Servings: 2 Time: 20 minutes Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- One 14-ounce package of firm tofu
- ½ cup largely chopped red bell pepper (~½ pepper)
- ½ c largely chopped onion (~¼ small onion)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce or vegan fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Vegan parmesan (we like VioLife and Follow Your Heart)
1. Slice three edges of the plastic covering on top of your tofu container, hold it at an angle over the sink, and apply pressure against the film to extract as much liquid as possible.
2. Transfer tofu block to a thicket of paper towels (about 4 half-sheets deep) and press down with another thicket of paper towels. Squeeze until paper towels are drenched in liquid (don’t worry about it losing its shape).
3. Heat a mid-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in olive oil and crumble in tofu, leaving some big pieces throughout. Throw in salt, paprika, black pepper, and toss to combine. Cook until lightly browned without stirring (about 4 minutes).
4. Stir in bell pepper and onion and cook until browned again (about another 4 minutes). Mix in garlic and repeat browning.
5. After browning for a third time, add in spinach, soy sauce, and toss until spinach is wilted (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat, add in a liberal amount of grated parmesan (the more the better), and fold in.
6. Distribute among two bowls, top with extra parmesan and olive oil, and enjoy as is or with sriracha and ketchup!
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
10 Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Tampa, FL
Whether you’re taking a trip to Busch Gardens or exploring the historic Ybor neighborhood, Tampa has no shortage of plant-based options when hunger strikes. From burgers with cheese whiz to beautifully plated Mediterranean dishes, Tampa has become a destination for both vegans and foodies alike. Here are 10 vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants to check out in Tampa, FL!
LGBTQ+-Owned Vegan Doughnut Truck Opens in Seattle
A new fully-vegan doughnut truck is coming to Seattle, and we have the deets on the treats! (We knew doughnuts were shaped like wheels for a reason.)
This Vegan Brow Bar Is Serving Up Cruelty-Free Looks In NYC
Boom Boom Brow Bar is NYC’s first walk-in brow bar that has been serving clients with vegan and cruelty-free looks since 2008. The NYC-based salon uses ethically-developed products in all of their services, which include brow, lip, chin, sideburn, hairline, and full face waxing, as well as brow and lash tints.
Cinnaholic to Open New Location in Uptown Houston
Cinnaholic—a California-based franchise bakery that offers plant-based cinnamon rolls is scheduled to open its first location in Uptown Houston, Texas this summer. The chain currently has two locations outside the city in the surrounding suburbs (Pearland and Cypress).
11 Sustainable Swimwear Brands for Summer 2021
If you want to stunt a trendy, sustainably made swimsuit this season, check out these brands! With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, who wouldn’t love to cool off with a dip in the pool, a trip to the beach, or even a pass on your kids slip-n-slide? If you’re partaking in any of these refreshing water activities, you’ll most likely want a bathing suit. And if you’re anything like us, you want to wear items that are eco-friendly and made by brands that treat their employees well. Here’s a list of our favorite swimsuit companies that fit the bill.
Devi’s Donuts Opens Brick-and-Mortar in Long Beach
Devi’s Donuts, an all-vegan Long Beach pop-up, establishes a brick-and-mortar!
Venice’s Adrift Burger Bar Adds Vegan Burger to Menu This Earth Day
Sun’s out, buns out! No, silly, not those buns! Burger buns!
10 Vegan Fast Food Breakfasts to Eat On the Go or Recreate at Home
Whether you’re commuting to the office, working from home, or looking for weekend brekkie inspo, we’ve got you. From drive-thru snags and restaurant go-to’s to home-cooked breakfast faves, here are your on-the-go ordering deets and DIY swaps for the most important meal of the day.
6 South Asian-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants Across America
It can be difficult to find amazing, all-vegan South Asian dishes. Whether you’re craving a flavorful chana masala or a heavenly spicy curry, VegOut has you covered, so you can enjoy the vibrance of South Asian cuisine without the traditional dairy-heavy ingredients. Here are our picks for some of the best South Asian-owned vegan restaurants across the nation.
Nostalgic Vegan Candy Bars Launch at Alfred Coffee for a Limited Time
Huge flavor in a perfectly portioned package, the NY-based Gigantic “sortasweet” candy bars are making a splash in Los Angeles as the brand arrives at Alfred locations for a limited time!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!