Salt & Straw’s Vegandulgence Menu Launches Tomorrow and All of the Flavors Are Inspired by Cupcakes
It’s every vegan’s favorite month of the year!
The artisan ice cream shop Salt & Straw always keeps two or three vegan flavors in rotation year-round. But in honor of Veganuary, the scoop shop rolls out a Vegandulgence series every January that features five limited-edition vegan ice cream flavors. If you’ve checked your calendar, you know it’s that time of year again! Salt & Straw’s Vegandulgence menu launches tomorrow and all of the flavors are inspired by cupcakes. How epic is that?
Cupcakes by Vegandulgence at Salt & Straw
This year’s series, titled Cupcakes by Vegandulgence, showcases five cupcake flavors in vegan ice cream form. Here they are!
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting: Pieces of moist vegan spice cake with walnuts, finely shredded carrots, and cream cheese frosting are mixed into a bright orange carrot juice ice cream to make this classic flavor.
- Petunia’s Rainbow Sprinkled Babycakes: This flavor was inspired by the “babycakes” or mini birthday cupcakes from the all-vegan Petunia’s Bakery in Portland (where Salt & Straw was founded). It features a classic vanilla oat-based ice cream, Petunia’s Bakery’s babycakes, colorful vegan sprinkles, and strawberry jam.
- Coconut Cream Pie Cupcake with Lemon Curd: Composed of coconut ice cream, lemon curd, and vegan toasted coconut cupcakes, this drool-worthy frozen treat is not to be missed.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcake: Did you know Oregon produces about 99% of the nation’s hazelnuts? To pay homage to their home state, Salt & Straw created this flavor with hazelnuts from the local family-owned farm, Freddy Guys. The hazelnuts are roasted and stuffed in a decadent chocolate ice cream with pieces of vegan vanilla cupcakes and chocolate ganache frosting.
- Renewal Mill’s Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcake: Renewal Mill is a vegan food brand that upcycles superfood flours and baking mixes to help fight food waste. The Salt & Straw team takes Renewal Mill’s Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix and turns it into fudgy vegan cupcakes that they top in a salted caramel frosting and mix into a fleur de sel-spiked oat ice cream base.
Vegan Flavors at Salt & Straw
Salt & Straw co-founder Tyler Malek said the flavors in this new series “are not delicious for being vegan, but because they are vegan,” with the plant-based ingredients offering a new canvas to lean into. These five vegan flavors at Salt & Straw will be available online and at all scoop shops for the month of January. Be sure to stop by before the month is over and stock up on a few pints to enjoy throughout the rest of the year!
For more information visit saltandstraw.com.
Allie is a writer, musical theatre performer, yoga instructor, and walking vegan restaurant directory. On any given day, you can catch her making tofu scramble, scouring Trader Joe’s for new plant-based products, or watching The Lizzie McGuire Movie! Visit her website at alexandrammitchell.com.
More from VegOut
Freebirds World Burrito Adds Vegan Chorizo to Menu
Abbot’s Butcher’s plant-based chorizo and Siete Family Foods’ grain-free tortillas are now available at all Freebirds locations.
Starbucks Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Frappuccinos
The bottled Frappuccinos are available in two new flavors and will be rolling out at retailers over the course of 2022.
The Best Body Lotions for Dry Winter Skin
Harsh winter weather calls for luxurious lotions!
An Interview with AFI’s Davey Havok
Lead singer of punk rock band AFI, Davey Havok is no stranger to veganism—having been vegan for over two decades. As part of the straight edge community in the 90s, he was heavily influenced by its members who also abstained from the use of animal products. In 2021, AFI released their new album, Bodies. We chatted with Havok to learn more about his music career and vegan lifestyle.
Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
These plant-based snacks are perfect for your game-day celebration!
Panda Express Is Testing Two Beyond Beef Dishes in Pasadena Starting Today
Panda Express is veganizing more American Chinese classics!
PLNT Burger’s 10th Location Opens in New York City
This all-vegan burger spot has expanded to NYC’s Union Square.
LA’s Pizzanista Launches Joan Jett Heart-Shaped Vegan Pizza
LA’s Pizzanista has collaborated with Miyoko’s Creamery and PETA to honor rock legend and animal rights activist Joan Jett with a limited-edition heart-shaped pizza in a Joan Jett-decorated box.
Pret a Manger Launches Vegan Meatball Wrap in US
The vegan meatball wrap is the first meat alternative option offered by the brand in the US.
LA’s Taco Vega Is Permanently Closing
The popular LA-based vegan restaurant will be closing its doors on Wednesday, January 26 after one year of service.
Add This Must-Try Vegan Protein Powder to Your Post-Workout Shake
We’re starting off 2022 on a fit note with this plant-based protein powder!
McDonald’s Expands McPlant Test to 600 US Locations
The vegan burger will be available in the San Francisco Bay and Dallas-Fort Worth areas beginning February 14 for a limited time.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!