New Chicago Vegan Ice Cream Pop-Up Launches to Raise Money for Social Justice
Chicago’s JUSTice Cream stands for social justice. The new, woman-led company is debuting a line of vegan ice cream in the Windy City and 100% net profit will go to organizations fighting for change.
Hialy Gutierrez, founder of JUSTice Cream makes vegan ice cream with more sustainable ingredients for those who are lactose intolerant. Hialy told VegOut, “JUSTice Cream is a play on the word justice and ice cream… as in, it’s *not* just ice cream—it’s also a vehicle for justice.” Her business will address issues with the nonprofit industrial structure, negative conceptions of veganism, human and environmental exploitation, and food industry practices. She hopes her company can be a source of support for organizations that focus on liberation work and that it can inspire conversations on social justice.
JUSTice cream will be sold in a variety of flavors, including:
- Fudge the Police (mint-vanilla flavor with fudge swirls), a critique of the institution of policing—benefits Black Lives Matter Chicago
- Reparalines and Cream (a vanilla bean base with cognac-infused praline sauce—benefits the Chicago Torture Justice Center (CTJC), which provides services to victims of police torture
- ABOLECHE ICE (strawberry and tres leches), a critique of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency—benefits Organized Communities Against Deportation (OCAD)
- Frida Kahlua (a coffee base and Kahlua syrup with churros)—benefits Art and Resistance through Education (ARTE), which uses art to amplify voices in the human rights movement
- Purple Root (ube flavor)—benefits Alliance of Filipinos for Immigrant Rights and Empowerment, which fights for immigrants, domestic workers, low-wage workers, seniors, and youth
“More flavors will be created as we build out this movement and establish more relationships with community-based organizations,” Gutierrez said.
JUSTice Cream will be available for purchase via pop-up in late July, possibly early August. The company hopes to expand into local co-op markets and small grocery stores in fall 2020. Check out their Instagram page for updates.
Mohini, a born and raised vegetarian from Chicago, initially went vegan when faced with a health issue, but stayed vegan for the animals. Whole food plant-based eating (inspired by traditional Indian culture) is her optimal diet. An advocate for mental health and lifestyle changes, she has a degree in Health Sciences from DePaul University.
More from VegOut
11 Essential Vegan Baking Ingredients
Keep these ingredients on hand for creating easy vegan baked goods in a snap.
Meet TCHO’s Dark & Bitter, Your New Favorite Vegan Baking Chocolate
This Dark & Bitter Unsweetened Baking Chocolate is a kitchen staple!
15 Nostalgic Vegan Snacks
We’re throwing it back to the good old days—with a vegan twist!
15 Must-Try Vegan Restaurants in Orange County
Pizza shops, sushi restaurants, burger joints—this list covers it all!
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!