How to Order Vegan at Starbucks
Starbucks Coffee Company offers a unique variety of veganizable cafe snacks and barista beverages.
Whether you’re grabbing a brew on your morning commute or snagging a drink on the way to your boarding gate, this international coffeehouse is always there for a pick-me-up. No matter what you’re craving, Starbucks Coffee Company has what you’re looking for.
Ordering Vegan at Starbucks: The Basics
While many Starbucks drinks are made with milk, the coffee company offers almond, coconut, oat, and soy milk dairy alternatives. Many of the clear flavored syrups are vegan, including caramel, hazelnut, and vanilla for a touch of sweetness. Aside from the mocha sauce, most coffee sauces are not vegan and should be omitted—nix the caramel, caramel brûlée, pumpkin spice, and white mocha sauces. Additionally, when ordering vegan, be sure to forego cinnamon dolce topping, frappuccino chips, honey syrup, java chips, and whipped cream. With these ordering tips, you’re ready to choose from cafe classics, secret menu items, and seasonal features. Here are some of the vegan creations available at the cafe right now.
Hot Vegan Drinks at Starbucks
When it comes to hot cups of joe and steaming barista creations, Starbucks offers many options beyond the naturally vegan brewed coffee. For those who love hot coffee all year round, this is for you!
Non-Dairy Milk Coffee Creations
- Cappuccinos and lattes ordered with non-dairy milk and flavored syrups
- Cinnamon Dolce Latte ordered with non-dairy milk and no cinnamon dolce topping
- Blonde Vanilla Latte ordered with non-dairy milk
- Honey Almond Milk Flat White ordered without honey syrup
- Caramel Macchiato ordered without caramel sauce
- Caffe Mocha ordered with non-dairy milk and no whipped cream
Hot Tea Lattes and Coffee-Free Drinks
- Matcha tea latte ordered with non-dairy milk
- Other tea lattes when ordered with non-dairy milk and no honey syrup
- Hot chocolate ordered with non-dairy milk and no whipped cream. Avoid the white hot chocolate.
- Caramel Apple Spice ordered without whipped cream or caramel sauce
- Steamers ordered with non-dairy milk and no whipped cream
Cold Vegan Drinks at Starbucks
No matter the weather, cold drinks are a vibe. From iced coffees, cold brew creations, and even frozen frappuccinos, Starbucks has it all. Veganize your refreshing drinks by subbing non-dairy milk, omitting whipped cream, and watching your syrup choices.
Iced and Frozen Coffee Mixtures
- Frappuccinos ordered with non-dairy milk and no whipped cream. Watch sauces, syrups, and additives from above.
- Strawberry Funnel Cake Frappuccino ordered with non-dairy milk and no whipped cream
- Cold brew ordered with non-dairy milk
- Honey Almond Milk Cold Brew ordered without honey syrup
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew ordered without cream and substituting non-dairy milk. Try coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- Nitro Cold Brew ordered without vanilla sweet cream
- Iced shaken espresso ordered with non-dairy milk
- Iced lattes, macchiatos, and mochas ordered with non-dairy milk
- New Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso without modifications
Iced Teas and Fruity Refreshers
- Iced teas and lemonades
- Iced guava black tea is vegan as-is. Order with or without lemonade.
- Iced Chai Tea Latte when ordered with non-dairy milk. Watch for honey.
- Starbucks Refreshers are generally vegan as-is.
- Pink, Violet, Star, Dragon, and Guava Passion Fruit Drinks are vegan as-is.
Vegan Baked Goods and Snacks at Starbucks
Whether you’re looking for a quick on-the-go breakfast or a study session snack in the cafe, Starbucks offers several vegan-possible options along with a variety of prepackaged plant-based snacks like nuts, Hippeas, and That’s It bars. The following are some vegan baked goods and snacks to look for:
- Impossible Breakfast Sandwich ordered on a bagel without cheese or egg
- Bagels ordered in plain, cinnamon raisin, and everything varieties
- Avocado Spread is totally vegan and tastes great on bagels and Impossible sandwiches.
- Chickpea Bites and Avocado Protein Box ordered as-is
- Classic Oatmeal and Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal are vegan as-is. Add in a splash of plant-based milk if you choose.
Note: As Starbucks rotates new menu options into their cafes, be sure to always check out the ingredients before ordering.
More from VegOut
Freebirds World Burrito Adds Vegan Chorizo to Menu
Abbot’s Butcher’s plant-based chorizo and Siete Family Foods’ grain-free tortillas are now available at all Freebirds locations.
Starbucks Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Frappuccinos
The bottled Frappuccinos are available in two new flavors and will be rolling out at retailers over the course of 2022.
The Best Body Lotions for Dry Winter Skin
Harsh winter weather calls for luxurious lotions!
An Interview with AFI’s Davey Havok
Lead singer of punk rock band AFI, Davey Havok is no stranger to veganism—having been vegan for over two decades. As part of the straight edge community in the 90s, he was heavily influenced by its members who also abstained from the use of animal products. In 2021, AFI released their new album, Bodies. We chatted with Havok to learn more about his music career and vegan lifestyle.
Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
These plant-based snacks are perfect for your game-day celebration!
Panda Express Is Testing Two Beyond Beef Dishes in Pasadena Starting Today
Panda Express is veganizing more American Chinese classics!
PLNT Burger’s 10th Location Opens in New York City
This all-vegan burger spot has expanded to NYC’s Union Square.
LA’s Pizzanista Launches Joan Jett Heart-Shaped Vegan Pizza
LA’s Pizzanista has collaborated with Miyoko’s Creamery and PETA to honor rock legend and animal rights activist Joan Jett with a limited-edition heart-shaped pizza in a Joan Jett-decorated box.
Pret a Manger Launches Vegan Meatball Wrap in US
The vegan meatball wrap is the first meat alternative option offered by the brand in the US.
LA’s Taco Vega Is Permanently Closing
The popular LA-based vegan restaurant will be closing its doors on Wednesday, January 26 after one year of service.
Add This Must-Try Vegan Protein Powder to Your Post-Workout Shake
We’re starting off 2022 on a fit note with this plant-based protein powder!
McDonald’s Expands McPlant Test to 600 US Locations
The vegan burger will be available in the San Francisco Bay and Dallas-Fort Worth areas beginning February 14 for a limited time.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!