Vegan Miso-Tahini-Glazed Roasted Eggplant with Farro Recipe
I roast the eggplant, here, with olive oil so that it becomes soft and tender, which makes for a nice contrast to the farro, a grain I love for its nutty taste and chewy texture. What pulls everything together is the miso-tahini glaze, which is punchy, acidic, sweet, and savory in all the right places. Let’s just say that I have a pretty good track record of eggplant converts after they try this one.
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup farro (see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice for serving (optional)
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Place the cubed eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet and toss it with the olive oil to coat. Spread the eggplant out in a single layer and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing it halfway through, until the cubes are tender and charring.
- While the eggplant is roasting, make the Miso-Tahini Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the miso, tahini, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, coconut sugar, and sesame oil. Then, to prevent the mixture from seizing, gradually whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water, tablespoon by tablespoon, stirring after each addition, until the glaze thins and becomes nice and smooth.
- Cook the farro according to the instructions on the package. After the farro is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and season it with salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the roasted eggplant to a medium bowl. Reserving 3 tablespoons of the glaze, add the rest to the roasted eggplant, tossing the cubes in the glaze until they are fully coated. Mix the 3 tablespoons of reserved glaze into the farro, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a small, dry skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sesame seeds and toast them, stirring frequently until they are fragrant and browning slightly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the farro among individual plates and place the eggplant cubes on top. Season with salt and garnish with parsley and the toasted sesame seeds. Finish with a squeeze of lemon, if desired.
A note on farro: The cooking time depends on what type of farro you buy. Typically, the options are whole farro (cooks in 35 to 40 minutes), semi-pearled farro (25 to 30 minutes), or pearled farro (15 to 20 minutes). Pearled farro has no husk and most of the bran is removed, so it cooks the fastest.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery Opens in Sacramento
It can be difficult to find delicious vegan pastries in your neighborhood, but Sacramentans look no further—Mud Pie Stand Vegan Bakery is the place to be, not only offering a diverse menu of sweet treats, but a myriad of savory specials as well.
Chris Paul and Slutty Vegan Serve Free Food to Atlanta Community on Juneteenth
Slutty Vegan and NBA star Chris Paul of the Phoenix Suns are teaming up to serve free food to the Atlanta community in celebration of Juneteenth.
20 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Businesses to Support
From restaurants, food trucks, and pop-ups to clothing and beauty brands, this list covers it all!
Black-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants to Support in Chicago
From stacked burgers to soul food platters and raw dishes, these Black-owned vegan spots have something for everyone.
Black-Owned Music-Themed Vegan Coffee Shop Opens in Houston This Weekend
A new concept that blends coffee, vegan food, and music will make its debut in Houston, Texas on Juneteenth.
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Los Angeles
Whether you’re craving vegan burgers, buffalo cauliflower, or apple cobbler, stop by one of these Black-owned vegan restaurants to get your fix!
10 Best Vegan Brunch Spots Nationwide
Get those mimosas flowin’ at these vegan brunch spots nationwide!
Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in NYC
In the mood for some cheesy garlic sticks, or perhaps a fresh-pressed juice? Check out these Black-owned vegan spots for all of your vegan cheese cravings, smoothies, and more!
Atlantic City Vegan Food Festival Returns This July
It’s going to be a hot vegan summer as New Jersey VegFest is making a comeback in Atlantic City!
Trader Joe’s Launches Spicy Vegan Pork Rinds
Bored of your current snack routine? Add Trader Joe’s Spicy Porkless Plant-Based Snack Rinds to your grazing rotation!
Vans Just Launched Its First Sustainable Vegan Sneaker Line
From old-school skaters to Gen Z teens, and everyone in between, we’ve all owned a pair of Vans at some point!
Jay-Z Invests in Plant-Based Chicken Nugget Company NUGGS
The future of vegan chicken nuggets is looking bright as Jay-Z is now backing this plant-based startup!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!