Vegan Mac & Cheese Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
If you enjoy both shepherd’s pie and mac ‘n’ cheese, chances are you’ll love this nontraditional union of the two in one delicious casserole.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups cooked lentils
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 2 Tbsp tamari, divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces radiatore, or other small pasta
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ½ of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- To make the lentils: In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp of the tamari, the onion powder, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In the same pot over high heat, combine the water, potato, carrot, cashews, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a high-speed blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 Tbsp of tamari, mustard, turmeric, and paprika, and season with the pepper. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Spread the pasta mixture on top.
- To finish: Sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
8 Easy Food Swaps to Make for Plastic-Free July
Grab those reusable bags, we’re going on a plastic-free food hunt!
This Pittsburgh Restaurant and Jazz Bar Is Now 100% Vegan
Con Alma is every vegan music-lover's dream!
11 LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in LA
From coffee shops and sit-down restaurants to a nightclub and dinner party pop-up, there are so many great Queer-owned businesses to check out!
5 Ways to Boost Your Mental Well-Being
Here are some tips to live your best, most balanced life!
Cracker Barrel Adds Vegan Sausage to Menu
Cracker Barrel adds its first plant-based meat option to the menu!
New Vegan Butcher Shop to Open in Long Beach This Year
The Plant Butchers and Sugar Taco’s third location is coming to Long Beach!
Smashburger Launches Plant-Based Milkshakes
Smashburger now offers six fully plant-based milkshakes at all locations!
The Best Store-Bought Overnight Oats
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? These vegan overnight oats are the perfect option!
Vegan Rainbow Treats That Ship Nationwide for Pride Month
Check out these delicious rainbow sweet treats and drinks that are celebrating Pride all month long!
LGBTQ-Owned Vegan Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always
Liven up your beauty routine with these LGBTQ-owned vegan beauty brands!
Peet’s Coffee Launches Vegan Boba Tea
Sip your way through the summer with these vibrant boba-inspired beverages!
Slutty Vegan Debuts New Sneaker and Bag Collab with Steve Madden
Step up your summer fashion with this PETA-certified vegan apparel!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!