Vegan Mac & Cheese Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
If you enjoy both shepherd’s pie and mac ‘n’ cheese, chances are you’ll love this nontraditional union of the two in one delicious casserole.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups cooked lentils
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 2 Tbsp tamari, divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces radiatore, or other small pasta
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ½ of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- To make the lentils: In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp of the tamari, the onion powder, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In the same pot over high heat, combine the water, potato, carrot, cashews, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a high-speed blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 Tbsp of tamari, mustard, turmeric, and paprika, and season with the pepper. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Spread the pasta mixture on top.
- To finish: Sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
Freebirds World Burrito Adds Vegan Chorizo to Menu
Abbot’s Butcher’s plant-based chorizo and Siete Family Foods’ grain-free tortillas are now available at all Freebirds locations.
Starbucks Launches Ready-to-Drink Oat Milk Frappuccinos
The bottled Frappuccinos are available in two new flavors and will be rolling out at retailers over the course of 2022.
The Best Body Lotions for Dry Winter Skin
Harsh winter weather calls for luxurious lotions!
An Interview with AFI’s Davey Havok
Lead singer of punk rock band AFI, Davey Havok is no stranger to veganism—having been vegan for over two decades. As part of the straight edge community in the 90s, he was heavily influenced by its members who also abstained from the use of animal products. In 2021, AFI released their new album, Bodies. We chatted with Havok to learn more about his music career and vegan lifestyle.
Store-Bought Vegan Super Bowl Party Snacks
These plant-based snacks are perfect for your game-day celebration!
Panda Express Is Testing Two Beyond Beef Dishes in Pasadena Starting Today
Panda Express is veganizing more American Chinese classics!
PLNT Burger’s 10th Location Opens in New York City
This all-vegan burger spot has expanded to NYC’s Union Square.
LA’s Pizzanista Launches Joan Jett Heart-Shaped Vegan Pizza
LA’s Pizzanista has collaborated with Miyoko’s Creamery and PETA to honor rock legend and animal rights activist Joan Jett with a limited-edition heart-shaped pizza in a Joan Jett-decorated box.
Pret a Manger Launches Vegan Meatball Wrap in US
The vegan meatball wrap is the first meat alternative option offered by the brand in the US.
LA’s Taco Vega Is Permanently Closing
The popular LA-based vegan restaurant will be closing its doors on Wednesday, January 26 after one year of service.
Add This Must-Try Vegan Protein Powder to Your Post-Workout Shake
We’re starting off 2022 on a fit note with this plant-based protein powder!
McDonald’s Expands McPlant Test to 600 US Locations
The vegan burger will be available in the San Francisco Bay and Dallas-Fort Worth areas beginning February 14 for a limited time.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!