Vegan Mac & Cheese Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
If you enjoy both shepherd’s pie and mac ‘n’ cheese, chances are you’ll love this nontraditional union of the two in one delicious casserole.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups cooked lentils
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 2 Tbsp tamari, divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces radiatore, or other small pasta
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ½ of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- To make the lentils: In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp of the tamari, the onion powder, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In the same pot over high heat, combine the water, potato, carrot, cashews, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a high-speed blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 Tbsp of tamari, mustard, turmeric, and paprika, and season with the pepper. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Spread the pasta mixture on top.
- To finish: Sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!
Sustainably and Carefully Sourced Ingredients Set This Native American-Owned Vegan Bakery Apart
Place an order from Wholesome Bakery in honor of Native American Heritage Month!
8 Vegan Bakeries in Los Angeles
Stock up for the holidays at these sweet stops!
11 Best Cruelty-Free, Vegan Laundry Detergents
Elevate your laundry day with these plant-based brands.
Pomona’s First All-Vegetarian Spot Borreguitas Serves Traditional Mexican Dishes
This powerful story highlights how the Torres family turned their 15-year-old restaurant into Pomona’s first vegetarian spot!