If you enjoy both shepherd’s pie and mac 'n' cheese, chances are you’ll love this nontraditional union of the two in one delicious casserole.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups cooked lentils
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 2 Tbsp tamari, divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces radiatore, or other small pasta
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ½ of a small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- To make the lentils: In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, mixed vegetables, 1 Tbsp of the tamari, the onion powder, and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to mix. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In the same pot over high heat, combine the water, potato, carrot, cashews, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a high-speed blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 Tbsp of tamari, mustard, turmeric, and paprika, and season with the pepper. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Spread the pasta mixture on top.
- To finish: Sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.