How to Make Vegan Baked Beans From Scratch
Tender white beans in a thick, sweet and salty, smoky tomato-based sauce.
Servings: 2-4 Time: 1 ½ hours Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 2 cans of Great Northern beans, liquid drained
- 6 ounces (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ onion, largely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- â…“ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (rice, apple cider, or distilled will work)
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder or ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
1. Heat a mid-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in oil, onion, and a heavy pinch of salt. Cook until onions start to turn translucent then toss in garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until mostly smooth. Place on a lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the liquid begins to reduce too much, stir in a splash of vegetable broth.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more brown sugar for sweetness, soy sauce for depth, liquid smoke for smokiness, or salt for saltiness.
4. Enjoy alongside coleslaw, bbq jackfruit, corn bread, or anything else that's Southern! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pot over medium heat with a splash of water until hot.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Vegan Mob Expands to San Francisco and San Jose
Much to the excitement of those living in the Bay Area, the popular Oakland vegan soul food restaurant Vegan Mob is expanding to two new locations. A brick-and-mortar in San Jose will be located at 949 Ruff Drive and is expected to start taking pickup and delivery orders by the second week of March. The San Francisco location will be a permanent home for the Vegan Mob food truck at the intersection of Valencia and 18th. You can catch the truck Tuesdays-Sundays from 11am-9pm starting March 20th.
Coconut Bliss Launches Single Serve Vegan Ice Cream Cups
We’ve come full circle, and individual ice cream cups are officially back … veganized, of course! The popular vegan ice cream brand Coconut Bliss has announced a new line of single serve cups (sans wooden spoon), available in two of their most popular flavors: Dark Chocolate and Madagascar Vanilla Bean. The cups will come in a four-pack, and will be available on the Coconut Bliss website and at retailers nationwide.
Easy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
I love this soup because it’s creamy, savory and so easy to make. It’s hearty, healthy, and comforting. The creaminess of the white beans and the umami flavors from the miso paste and liquid smoke is really what makes this soup extra special!
Peet’s Coffee Debuts Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Nationwide Today
Peet’s Coffee just launched an all-vegan breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat and JUST Egg—and it’s available nationwide starting TODAY!
New Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant Opens in Dallas Area
A new Black-owned brick-and-mortar has opened in Irving, Texas and we’ve got the inside scoop on the fire Southern eats!
Pinky Cole Opens Vegan Cheesesteak Concept Inside Atlanta’s Bar Vegan
Pinky Cole—founder of the renowned Slutty Vegan—has teamed up with Derrick Hayes of Big Dave’s (another popular Atlanta eatery) to open Dinkies, a plant-based cheesesteak concept.
6 Vegan-Friendly Ethiopian Restaurants in Los Angeles
If your parents ever told you to stop eating your food with your hands, Ethiopian food is for you! Injera (a spongy flatbread) comes with most dishes, and it’s absolutely encouraged and customary in Ethiopian dining to use it as a vehicle to scoop up each delicious and flavor-packed bite. Not only that, but nearly half the population of Ethiopia are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who traditionally eat vegan on Wednesdays, Fridays, and other fasting days, totaling over 200+ days per year. We’re rounding up some of LA’s best spots to try this vegan-friendly cuisine below!
Chicago’s Kitchen 17 Now Ships Vegan Deep-Dish Pizza to All 50 States
Kitchen 17—a Chicago-based vegan pizza joint—has expanded the shipping radius for their signature frozen deep-dish pizzas. The restaurant is now offering their house-made frozen pizzas shipped to all 50 states.
Forager Project Launches New Line of Vegan Cheese
Forager Project just dropped a new line of vegan cheese using their fan-favorite probiotic cashew milk yogurt!
13 Vegan Frozen Meals for Your Busy Life
You’re busy, we get it, but you still gotta eat, and you gotta eat well. On any other night you might whip up an IG-worthy dish like the veganista/isto/istx you are or you might order your go-to Uber Eats, but not tonight. Tonight you reach into your freezer and pull out a plant-based frozen dinner that will be ready in an instant. We aren’t talking any old freezer meal; we’re talking tasty, actually-looks-like-what’s-on-the-package meals from your friendly freezer.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!