How to Make Vegan Baked Beans From Scratch
Tender white beans in a thick, sweet and salty, smoky tomato-based sauce.
Servings: 2-4 Time: 1 ½ hours Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 2 cans of Great Northern beans, liquid drained
- 6 ounces (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ onion, largely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- â…“ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (rice, apple cider, or distilled will work)
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder or ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
1. Heat a mid-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in oil, onion, and a heavy pinch of salt. Cook until onions start to turn translucent then toss in garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until mostly smooth. Place on a lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the liquid begins to reduce too much, stir in a splash of vegetable broth.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more brown sugar for sweetness, soy sauce for depth, liquid smoke for smokiness, or salt for saltiness.
4. Enjoy alongside coleslaw, bbq jackfruit, corn bread, or anything else that's Southern! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pot over medium heat with a splash of water until hot.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
This Plant-Based Comfort Food Brand Is Democratizing Access to Vegan Food
Have we mentioned how much we love Better Chew?
A Vegan Mediterranean Brasserie Opens in NYC Next Week
NYC vegan restaurant group City Roots Hospitality opens a fourth vegan eatery located in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood next week!
8 Essential Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants and Pop-Ups in Orlando You Need to Try
Welcome February with delicious food from these Southern icons.
25 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now (And Always)
Load up your kitchen with these stellar food and drink products!
5 Black-Owned Brands to Shop for Vegan Chocolate This Valentine’s Day
Support a great business and get your Valentine’s Day shopping done all in one!
Slutty Vegan Opens Its First College Campus Location at Georgia Tech
The vegan burger joint is set to open its first college campus location in their home city next month!
Smorgasburg LA’s Super Vegan Sunday Returns for 2023
The special event is back after a three-year hiatus with an exciting collab with LA Taco—to determine the best vegan taco in the city!
Afro-Vegan Society Kicks off Third Annual Veguary for Black History Month
Afro-Vegan Society launches their third annual Veguary campaign offering online support and community for those going vegan!
Vegan Valentine’s Day Treats in LA
From heart-shaped donuts and cakes to chocolate-covered strawberries and pretzels, this list covers it all!
The Best Juice Bars in Orlando, Florida
Beat the Florida heat with thirst-quenching juices, shots, and cleanses from these nine spots!
Unreal Deli Vegan Lunch Meat Launches at All Sprouts Locations
You can now find this vegan deli meat brand in the Sprouts deli section!
Where to Eat Vegan Valentine’s Day Dinner in LA
You’re bound to fall in love at these vegan restaurants!