How to Make Vegan Baked Beans From Scratch
Tender white beans in a thick, sweet and salty, smoky tomato-based sauce.
Servings: 2-4 Time: 1 ½ hours Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 2 cans of Great Northern beans, liquid drained
- 6 ounces (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ onion, largely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- â…“ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (rice, apple cider, or distilled will work)
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder or ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
1. Heat a mid-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in oil, onion, and a heavy pinch of salt. Cook until onions start to turn translucent then toss in garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until mostly smooth. Place on a lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the liquid begins to reduce too much, stir in a splash of vegetable broth.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more brown sugar for sweetness, soy sauce for depth, liquid smoke for smokiness, or salt for saltiness.
4. Enjoy alongside coleslaw, bbq jackfruit, corn bread, or anything else that's Southern! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pot over medium heat with a splash of water until hot.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
10 Vegan Chocolate Bars You Need to Try
They say that money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate! As far as we’re concerned, that’s pretty close. After all, who doesn’t love a good ole chocolate bar? The beauty of chocolate is that no matter your preference, there’s an option for everyone. Check out this list of our favorite picks from “milk” to dark and everything in between. Here are 10 vegan chocolate bars you need to try!
9 Vegan Breakfast Sausages to Start Your Morning Right
No homemade weekend brunch is complete without one of these vegan breakfast sausages. Whether you’re wrapping some scrambled tofu and home fries into a flour tortilla, cooking up that veganized version of biscuits and gravy, or thawing a frozen JUST Egg Folded, you’re going to want some plant-based patties, links, or soyrizo to complete the meal. Here’s our list of top 9 breakfast sausages to start your day.
The 10 Hottest Vegan Pop-Up Restaurants Nationwide
Your votes have been tallied for the 2021 VegOut Awards, and we’ve rounded up the official results in the “Best Pop-Ups Nationwide” category. These 10 spots are worth following, tracking down, setting reminders in your calendar, and rallying behind at vegan festivals. So without further ado, here are your favorite pop-ups for 2021!
Impossible Meat to Be Served in Select California, Washington, and Oklahoma K-12 Schools
In another stride toward connecting the country’s youth to steps toward climate change, Impossible Foods has secured accreditation to be served in K-12 schools!
Italian Vegan Burger Chain Opens Ghost Kitchen in Culver City Today
Italy-based vegan burger chain—Flower Burger—just opened its first North America location in Culver City. The vibrant-hued quick-service restaurant will begin as a ghost kitchen with plans to open a brick-and-mortar later this summer.
Tyson Launches Plant-Based Burgers, Bratwursts, and Italian Sausages for Summer
Tyson Foods, leading meat producer in the US, launches a new line of plant-based meats just in time for summer!
Harmless Harvest Aims for 50% Carbon Reduction by 2025
Harmless Harvest, known for delivering the first-ever minimally processed organic coconut water in the United States, is now striving to become a carbon-neutral corporation. The eco-conscious company is set to achieve a 50% reduction in greenhouse gases by 2025. The progressive producer offers a variety of organic, ethically sourced coconut products, including coconut waters, smoothie drinks, and plant-based yogurts made without pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
Lightlife Ditches Egg, Goes Entirely Vegan with New Reformulated Products
Lightlife, the brand known for its plant-based hot dogs, goes fully vegan with reformulated products!
NYC’s Boom Boom Brow Bar Launches Vegan Eyebrow Makeup Line
Boom Boom Brow Bar, NYC’s first walk-in brow bar that has been serving clients with vegan and cruelty-free looks since 2008, has launched a line of vegan and cruelty-free brow products.
Eleven Madison Park Is Reopening as an All-Vegan Restaurant
This June, NYC’s three-Michelin-starred restaurant—Eleven Madison Park (EMP)—will reopen with a new, 100% plant-based menu. Owner and chef, Daniel Humm, recently announced the relaunch is set for June 10.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!