How to Make Vegan Baked Beans From Scratch
Tender white beans in a thick, sweet and salty, smoky tomato-based sauce.
Servings: 2-4 Time: 1 ½ hours Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 2 cans of Great Northern beans, liquid drained
- 6 ounces (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ onion, largely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- â…“ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (rice, apple cider, or distilled will work)
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder or ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
1. Heat a mid-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in oil, onion, and a heavy pinch of salt. Cook until onions start to turn translucent then toss in garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until mostly smooth. Place on a lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the liquid begins to reduce too much, stir in a splash of vegetable broth.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more brown sugar for sweetness, soy sauce for depth, liquid smoke for smokiness, or salt for saltiness.
4. Enjoy alongside coleslaw, bbq jackfruit, corn bread, or anything else that's Southern! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a pot over medium heat with a splash of water until hot.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
New Vegan Ghost Kitchen Opens in Dallas
VSpot Grille is open four days a week on Commerce Street in Dallas.
Sticky Fingers Bakery Now Ships Nationwide
The beloved D.C. bakery is moving toward a fully e-commerce platform.
10 Spots for Vegan Mac and Cheese in NYC
Whether you prefer yours topped with bacon or truffle, these vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants have your mac and cheese needs covered!
Vegan Bodega Opens in Atlanta This Fall
The LA-based all-vegan bodega and neighborhood market, LaRayia’s Bodega, is opening at Ponce City Market this October.
Wilmington, North Carolina Gets Its First Vegan Food Truck
The Hardcore Hippie made its debut this month in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Pure Vegan Cafe Opens Second Location in Raleigh, North Carolina
The juice bar and vegan cafe will host its grand opening on September 23.
Lightlife Foods Debuts National Television Commercial
The popular faux meat brand is stepping it up!
11 Best Vegan Croissants in Los Angeles
These beauties are golden, flaky, and oh-so-buttery!
Our Favorite Vegan Restaurants in Portland
Add these restaurants to the top of your must-try list in the City of Roses!
Anitta Teams up with Burger King to Launch Limited-Edition Vegan Combo Meal
The collaboration stemmed from the fast-food chain’s ban of 120 artificial ingredients from its menu.
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!