Stars and Stripes Hummus Recipe
This festive hummus dish is perfect for all of your upcoming 4th of July and Labor Day gatherings.
Social hour starts with a fun and festive Stars and Stripes Hummus recipe. Follow up with a side of tri-color macaroni salad, and rinse it all down with a patriotic version of your favorite adult beverage!
This twist on traditional hummus uses squeezable Mighty Sesame Co. tahini as a base. The brand’s easy-to-use formula is gluten-free, non-GMO, kosher, halal, and keto-friendly. Enjoy!
Servings: Makes 4 cups of hummus
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 10 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 14-oz cans garbanzo beans
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup Mighty Sesame tahini
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 medium beet, cooked
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 sliced onion
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans and set aside.
- Mix together lemon juice and water and set aside. Whisk together tahini and oil and set aside.
- In a food processor, process garbanzo beans with garlic, salt, and cumin until chunky. Then add lemon mixture and process until somewhat smooth. As the machine runs, add olive oil and tahini mixture until smooth, scraping bowl as needed.
- Remove 2/3 of the hummus and add 1 medium cooked beet. Process until bright red and smooth.
- Clean food processor and add half of reserved hummus back into the processor.
- Sauté cabbage with onions on medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened. Add mixture to hummus in the food processor with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Process until bright blue. Note that it may look a bit purplish, but when paired with the other colors you will achieve a patriotic look either way.
- Place all three hummus colors in resealable plastic bags and clip end of each bag to allow hummus to flow out freely.
- Use your imagination to create an American flag or any festive party dish with the hummus. Serve with extra virgin olive oil and plenty of crackers.
This recipe is brought to you by Mighty Sesame Co. Mighty Sesame’s’ squeezable tahini lineup includes Original, Harissa, Whole Seed, and more. Find them at major retailers nationwide and learn more at MightySesameCo.com.
More from VegOut
11 Essential Vegan Baking Ingredients
Keep these ingredients on hand for creating easy vegan baked goods in a snap.
Meet TCHO’s Dark & Bitter, Your New Favorite Vegan Baking Chocolate
This Dark & Bitter Unsweetened Baking Chocolate is a kitchen staple!
15 Nostalgic Vegan Snacks
We’re throwing it back to the good old days—with a vegan twist!
15 Must-Try Vegan Restaurants in Orange County
Pizza shops, sushi restaurants, burger joints—this list covers it all!
The Best Vegan Restaurants in Florida
From the Panhandle to the big city, Florida is a hot spot for plant-based eats.
10 Best Vegan Restaurants for a Date Night in LA
There are only green flags at these vegan eateries!
Vegan Baked Goods That Ship Nationwide for the Holidays
From Hanukkah bundt cakes and Christmas cookies to gingerbread house kits, this list covers it all!
Our 5 Secret Ingredients for Vegan Holiday Cooking
Add these products to your plant-based recipes this holiday season!
Prados Beauty Celebrates Indigenous Beauty and Resilience
Founder Cece Meadows puts Indigenous voices at the forefront of the beauty industry.
8 Vegan Sweaters to Keep You Warm This Winter
We’re staying warm this season with these vegan styles!
10 Vegan Chocolate Chip Brands Perfect for Baking
These dairy-free chocolate chips were made for cookies, waffles, muffins, and more.
12 Vegan Beauty Gifts to Shop This Holiday Season
Deck the halls with boughs of vegan beauty gifts!