Stars and Stripes Hummus Recipe
This festive hummus dish is perfect for all of your upcoming 4th of July and Labor Day gatherings.
Social hour starts with a fun and festive Stars and Stripes Hummus recipe. Follow up with a side of tri-color macaroni salad, and rinse it all down with a patriotic version of your favorite adult beverage!
This twist on traditional hummus uses squeezable Mighty Sesame Co. tahini as a base. The brand’s easy-to-use formula is gluten-free, non-GMO, kosher, halal, and keto-friendly. Enjoy!
Servings: Makes 4 cups of hummus
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 10 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 14-oz cans garbanzo beans
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup Mighty Sesame tahini
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 medium beet, cooked
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 sliced onion
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans and set aside.
- Mix together lemon juice and water and set aside. Whisk together tahini and oil and set aside.
- In a food processor, process garbanzo beans with garlic, salt, and cumin until chunky. Then add lemon mixture and process until somewhat smooth. As the machine runs, add olive oil and tahini mixture until smooth, scraping bowl as needed.
- Remove 2/3 of the hummus and add 1 medium cooked beet. Process until bright red and smooth.
- Clean food processor and add half of reserved hummus back into the processor.
- Sauté cabbage with onions on medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened. Add mixture to hummus in the food processor with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Process until bright blue. Note that it may look a bit purplish, but when paired with the other colors you will achieve a patriotic look either way.
- Place all three hummus colors in resealable plastic bags and clip end of each bag to allow hummus to flow out freely.
- Use your imagination to create an American flag or any festive party dish with the hummus. Serve with extra virgin olive oil and plenty of crackers.
This recipe is brought to you by Mighty Sesame Co. Mighty Sesame’s’ squeezable tahini lineup includes Original, Harissa, Whole Seed, and more. Find them at major retailers nationwide and learn more at MightySesameCo.com.
More from VegOut
The Best Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches Across the US
People say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why not make it the most delicious, too?
This Vegan Coffee Shop Is a Hub for the Long Beach LGBTQ+ Community
Wood Coffee Co. is not your average caffeine destination.
San Diego’s Veg’n Out Moves Into Mission Square Market
A chef-driven menu upgrade is coming to Grantville’s only vegan deli!
Popular Portland Restaurant SxNW to Permanently Close
The beloved vegan restaurant’s last day of service will be Sunday, August 7.
Lizzo Takes on Veganized Hot Ones Challenge
The vegan singer appeared on the latest episode of Hot Ones, where she enjoyed vegan chicken from popular brand Daring and talked about her newest album, Special.
Tolerant Foods Adds Chickpea Spaghetti to Gluten-Free Vegan Pasta Lineup
Be sure to check out this better-for-you spaghetti for your next pasta night!
Our Favorite Vegan Canned Wine Brands
These cruelty-free wines are convenient and taste great after a long day.
9 Spots for Vegan Ice Cream in Chicago
Check out these nine places to find dairy-free ice cream in the Windy City!
10 Must-Try Vegan Restaurants in Amsterdam
Your vegan food travel guide to the Netherlands’ capital.
Alaska Airlines Adds Vegan Meal Option to In-Flight Menu
The “Soy Meets World” vegan salad is available on flights over 1,100 miles.
The Best Vegan Hiking Boots
Hit the trails in these sustainable shoes!
Chili Cauliflower and Tofu Recipe
There’s no question that Indo-Chinese cuisine is adored across India and abroad for its tangy, salty, and spicy flavors. This dish of cauliflower and tofu has classic Indo-Chinese flavors, primarily umami and spicy. Roast both before stir-frying to enhance and develop their textures.