Mom’s Baked Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe
My mother used to make a delicious baked macaroni and cheese topped with (accidentally vegan) Ritz cracker crumbs and paprika. The sauce began with a roux to make a rich béchamel and was baked to perfection. Note: The texture of this baked casserole is meant to be firm, not saucy. The optional shredded vegan cheese makes the sauce richer, but it’s delicious without it.
- 16 ounces (454 g) elbow macaroni
- Olive oil or vegan butter, for preparing the baking dish
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 5 cups (1.2 L) plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup (72 g) finely crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) melted vegan butter
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup (240 ml) of pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 9 × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) baking dish with olive oil or vegan butter. Set aside.
- To make the sauce: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Add the salt. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mustard, onion powder, and pepper and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes until thick. Reduce the heat to low. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add as much of the 1 cup (240 ml) of reserved cooking water, as desired.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cracker crumbs, paprika, and melted butter to combine.
- To finish: Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish, top with the cracker crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden on top.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
Ann Arbor, Michigan Encourages Residents to Adopt Plant-Based Diets
Ann Arbor’s A2Zero Carbon-Neutrality Plan calls for promoting plant-rich diets within the community.
RZA Teams up with Violife to Award Five Black-Owned Restaurants $100K
The new grant program aims to make plant-based eating more accessible, affordable, and delicious in local communities.
Starbucks Is Testing Vegan Whipped Cream at Two Seattle Locations
We’re crossing our fingers it launches nationwide!
The Best Store-Bought Vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamers
You need these festive non-dairy coffee creamers in your autumn morning routine.
This Multivitamin Was Made Specifically for Plant-Based Diets
This supplement was made specifically for plant-based eaters.
30 Vegan Pumpkin Products to Try This Fall
You won’t want to miss these vegan pumpkin-flavored products!
Orlando’s Top 10 Vegan Desserts
Central Florida has a sweet tooth, and we’re not complaining.
Where to Get Impossible Chicken Nuggets
Offering everything from sausage to beef, Impossible Foods recently added a new product to their lineup—Impossible Chicken Nuggets!
LA’s Honeybee Burger Is Opening a Location in New York City
The LA-based vegan burger joint is expanding on the East Coast!
Fifth Annual Lancaster, Pennsylvania VegFest Takes Place This Weekend
The Pennsylvania festival is back for two days of vegan fun September 18-19.
Women-Owned Vegan Cafe and Grocery Store Opens in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
Grab your morning espresso and a snack or two at Brooklyn’s newest plant-based concept!
This Instant Vegan Coffee Creamer Is Perfect for Your Busy Morning
Laird Superfood makes convenient and nutritious coffee creamers in a handful of delicious flavors!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!