Lightly seared tofu is seasoned with fragrant black pepper, deep soy sauce, and sharp vegan parmesan, then tossed with crisp red peppers, spicy garlic, and fresh spinach.
Servings: 2 Time: 20 minutes Difficulty: Feelin’ Lazy
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- One 14-ounce package of firm tofu
- ½ cup largely chopped red bell pepper (~½ pepper)
- ½ c largely chopped onion (~¼ small onion)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce or vegan fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Vegan parmesan (we like VioLife and Follow Your Heart)
1. Slice three edges of the plastic covering on top of your tofu container, hold it at an angle over the sink, and apply pressure against the film to extract as much liquid as possible.
2. Transfer tofu block to a thicket of paper towels (about 4 half-sheets deep) and press down with another thicket of paper towels. Squeeze until paper towels are drenched in liquid (don’t worry about it losing its shape).
3. Heat a mid-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in olive oil and crumble in tofu, leaving some big pieces throughout. Throw in salt, paprika, black pepper, and toss to combine. Cook until lightly browned without stirring (about 4 minutes).
4. Stir in bell pepper and onion and cook until browned again (about another 4 minutes). Mix in garlic and repeat browning.
5. After browning for a third time, add in spinach, soy sauce, and toss until spinach is wilted (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat, add in a liberal amount of grated parmesan (the more the better), and fold in.
6. Distribute among two bowls, top with extra parmesan and olive oil, and enjoy as is or with sriracha and ketchup!