This classic mac ’n’ cheese features vegan milk, butter, and cheese shreds and is the ooey-gooey cheesy mac of your comfort food dreams in just 25 minutes. Adding some additional nutritional yeast makes this dish even cheesier. I top mine with sun-dried tomatoes, which add a bit of a contrasting flavor and texture to the dish. If you use gluten-free pasta, this entire meal can be gluten-free friendly!
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Maddie Reich of The Jewish Vegan
8oz of your favorite pasta
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup vegan milk
1 package vegan cheese shreds
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp lemon juice
Dash of salt to taste
Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, as garnish)
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
2. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat when the pasta has about 4 minutes left.
3. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat and scoop the pasta from the water using a slotted spoon to place it in the pan with the melted butter. Reserve the pasta water.
4. Stir the pasta and melted butter continuously for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the pasta is completely coated in the butter.
5. Pour the milk into the pan, then add the shredded cheese. Cook covered until the shreds are melted and combined with the milk. Stir frequently.
6. Once the shreds are melted, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix to combine. You might notice that the mixture is not quite smooth and creamy yet. To get it to the right consistency, add a bit of the reserved pasta water at a time and stir it in well. The cheese sauce should look smooth when done.
7. Lastly, add salt to taste, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes if desired. Serve warm.
- This mac 'n' cheese can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
RELATED: Vegan Latke Recipe for Hanukkah
Want even more vegan recipes, news, food, and lifestyle content? Subscribe to VegOut Magazine!