The Chicago Dog—the epitome of Chicagoan cuisine. Accept no substitutes, and accept no ketchup. How you prepare the hot dogs is really up to you, but for the sake of keeping it traditional, this recipe will require you to boil and steam them.
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Recipe by: Dragged Through The Garden
- Vegan hot dogs
- Vegan poppy seed hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- White onion
- Sport peppers
- Relish (neon green where available)
- Beefsteak tomato
- Dill pickle spears
- Celery salt
1. Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Dice up a white onion. Slice a beefsteak tomato into wedges.
2. Add 4 hot dogs into the boiling water for three minutes, and then take them out and set aside. Add your steamer basket onto the pot. Place 4 poppy seed buns into the basket and bring water to a simmer with a lid on top. You can add the hot dogs too to keep them warm.
3. Remove the buns and hot dogs from the basket. Put the hot dog in the bun and add the following: yellow mustard, relish, diced onion. Add two wedges of tomato between the hot dog and the bun. Add a dill pickle spear, two sport peppers and a generous dash of celery salt.
Tip! For a true Chicago-style hot dog, don't add ketchup.
RELATED: How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes