What does a broke college student’s dorm room, an ominous white-walled dentist’s waiting room, a swanky CEO’s office, and a fast-casual counter-service eatery all have in common? If you guessed, “They all have IKEA furniture!” then…ding, ding, ding ... you win!
Because it doesn’t matter whether you love the Yankees or Dodgers, whether you are rich or broke, or if you are the only person who isn’t up to date on the last Game of Thrones Episode. You. Shop. At. IKEA.
Good news is, IKEA is not only a trailblazer when it comes to funky new eco-friendly initiatives, they also offer up some incredible plant-based food options. Try out these vegan offerings next time you find yourself visiting IKEA in need of an incomprehensibly-named storage solution or expensive-looking mass produced artwork!
- Veggie Dog—After spending endless hours painstakingly comparing throw pillows, who wouldn’t love IKEA’s plant-based take on the good ‘ol American classic hot dog? IKEA’s veggie dog is comprised of a yummy blend of kale, red lentils, quinoa, onions, carrots, ginger, and tumeric. Topped with pickled red cabbage for zing, roasted onions for a bit of sweetness, and spicy mustard for kick, it’s compact and easy to eat. (Order without the bun to be safe—buns vary by location and some contain eggs).
- Vegetable Balls—Also known as Grönsaksbullar, these may sound like a Harry Potter incantation, which is fitting because they certainly taste magical. Made with chickpeas, green peas, red pepper, corn, kale, and carrot, the vegetable balls are served alongside delightfully roasted cauliflower, sweet potato sauce, and steamed vegetables. All of this for 350 calories and under $5, it’s healthy AF and so budget friendly, you can splurge on that second plastic plant you had your eye on!
- Organic Pasta—Ask for the penne-shaped pasta with marinara sauce and no cheese and you’ve got yourself a deliciously well-balanced pasta plate! Looking to add a bit more protein? Ask for the veggie balls thrown in. We guarantee this dish is also kid approved!
- Seasonal Salad—For those whose body is a temple and the picture of health, order one of the made-to-order salads without cheese. As far as dressing goes, Newman’s Own has got your back with a choice of either the Balsamic Vinaigrette or Light Italian Dressing.
- French fries—Crispy and perfectly golden brown. A classic.
- Fruit cup—Get those vitamins!
- Moroccan lentil soup—Packed with protein, flavored with a savory harissa.
- Rye and multigrain crisps—Perfect for dipping into the moroccan lentil soup.
- Red seaweed pearls (Sjörapport)—Vegan caviar… what!? Made with kelp seaweed, these little pearls of goodness have got you feeling fancy without the cruelty!
- Cookies (Kafferep)—Crispy, crunchy, vegan-buttery biscuit box with assorted flavors! With an array of almonds, oat biscuits, ginger thins and raspberry filled, who needs Girl Scout cookies?
- Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips—These may have cream in the name, but these vegan chips have tons of salty and onion-y flavor, perfect accompaniment for a vegan sandwich. And that sour cream is totally fake!
- Dried Berry Cereal—Your new breakfast bff made with oats, wheat, seeds, berries, and cornflakes. Pour your favorite nut milk over, add some fresh fruit, and you are one balanced breaky badass!
- Oat Smoothies (Munsbit)—An entire line of oat smoothies. With flavors galore like apple pear, black currant, and blueberry, who can choose just one?