How to Eat Vegan at IKEA
What does a broke college student’s dorm room, an ominous white-walled dentist’s waiting room, a swanky CEO’s office, and a fast-casual counter-service eatery all have in common? If you guessed, “They all have IKEA furniture!” then…ding, ding, ding … you win!
Because it doesn’t matter whether you love the Yankees or Dodgers, whether you are rich or broke, or if you are the only person who isn’t up to date on the last Game of Thrones Episode. You. Shop. At. IKEA.
Good news is, IKEA is not only a trailblazer when it comes to funky new eco-friendly initiatives, they also offer up some incredible plant-based food options. Try out these vegan offerings next time you find yourself visiting IKEA in need of an incomprehensibly-named storage solution or expensive-looking mass produced artwork!
- Veggie Dog—After spending endless hours painstakingly comparing throw pillows, who wouldn’t love IKEA’s plant-based take on the good ‘ol American classic hot dog? IKEA’s veggie dog is comprised of a yummy blend of kale, red lentils, quinoa, onions, carrots, ginger, and tumeric. Topped with pickled red cabbage for zing, roasted onions for a bit of sweetness, and spicy mustard for kick, it’s compact and easy to eat. (Order without the bun to be safe—buns vary by location and some contain eggs).
- Vegetable Balls—Also known as Grönsaksbullar, these may sound like a Harry Potter incantation, which is fitting because they certainly taste magical. Made with chickpeas, green peas, red pepper, corn, kale, and carrot, the vegetable balls are served alongside delightfully roasted cauliflower, sweet potato sauce, and steamed vegetables. All of this for 350 calories and under $5, it’s healthy AF and so budget friendly, you can splurge on that second plastic plant you had your eye on!
- Organic Pasta—Ask for the penne-shaped pasta with marinara sauce and no cheese and you’ve got yourself a deliciously well-balanced pasta plate! Looking to add a bit more protein? Ask for the veggie balls thrown in. We guarantee this dish is also kid approved!
- Seasonal Salad—For those whose body is a temple and the picture of health, order one of the made-to-order salads without cheese. As far as dressing goes, Newman’s Own has got your back with a choice of either the Balsamic Vinaigrette or Light Italian Dressing.
- French fries—Crispy and perfectly golden brown. A classic.
- Fruit cup—Get those vitamins!
- Moroccan lentil soup—Packed with protein, flavored with a savory harissa.
- Rye and multigrain crisps—Perfect for dipping into the moroccan lentil soup.
- Red seaweed pearls (Sjörapport)—Vegan caviar… what!? Made with kelp seaweed, these little pearls of goodness have got you feeling fancy without the cruelty!
- Cookies (Kafferep)—Crispy, crunchy, vegan-buttery biscuit box with assorted flavors! With an array of almonds, oat biscuits, ginger thins and raspberry filled, who needs Girl Scout cookies?
- Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips—These may have cream in the name, but these vegan chips have tons of salty and onion-y flavor, perfect accompaniment for a vegan sandwich. And that sour cream is totally fake!
- Dried Berry Cereal—Your new breakfast bff made with oats, wheat, seeds, berries, and cornflakes. Pour your favorite nut milk over, add some fresh fruit, and you are one balanced breaky badass!
- Oat Smoothies (Munsbit)—An entire line of oat smoothies. With flavors galore like apple pear, black currant, and blueberry, who can choose just one?
More from VegOut
OMG! We’re Obsessed with These Veggie Chips
These good-for-you veggie snacks are a tasty way to eat your vegetables.
7 Spots to Get Pumpkin-Flavored Vegan Eats in NYC
Celebrate the fall season with pumpkin-flavored donuts, pies, soups, and more!
Vegan Tapas and Cocktail Bar Opens in Albany, New York
Bar Vegan is now open for late-night eats, signature cocktails, and live music in Central Square.
Vegan BBQ Pop-Up Coming to Brooklyn, NYC This November
Get a taste of Southern BBQ in Brooklyn, NYC at this new vegan pop-up!
Dough Joy Donuts to Open Brick-and-Mortar in Seattle
The popular Seattle-based vegan food truck has plans to open its first brick-and-mortar location before the end of the year.
Fast-Casual Greek Chain Souvla Adds Plant-Based Lamb to Menu
The San Francisco restaurant launched the vegan lamb at all four of its locations on October 20.
Plant Power Fast Food’s Las Vegas Location Is Now Open
The chain makes vegan versions of fast-food classics from breakfast to dessert!
Pressed Is Launching La Colombe Vegan Cold Brew Smoothies
Give your morning a boost with these convenient, nutrient-dense beverages!
Chicago’s Kale My Name Opening Los Angeles Location with Tabitha Brown
This marks Tabitha Brown’s first vegan restaurant business venture.
Memphis Gets Its First Full-Service Black-Owned Vegan Restaurant
Headed up by celebrity chef Daudi “Da Vegan Guru” McLean, the vegan soul food joint will be Memphis’ first full-service Black-owned vegan restaurant.
The Best Vegan Shrimp Brands
These plant-based shrimps have the taste and texture of traditional seafood!
Cape Coral, Florida’s First Gluten-Free Vegan Restaurant Opens
BJ’s Bites is ready to delight gluten-free, vegan diners.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!