How to Eat Vegan at IKEA
What does a broke college student’s dorm room, an ominous white-walled dentist’s waiting room, a swanky CEO’s office, and a fast-casual counter-service eatery all have in common? If you guessed, “They all have IKEA furniture!” then…ding, ding, ding … you win!
Because it doesn’t matter whether you love the Yankees or Dodgers, whether you are rich or broke, or if you are the only person who isn’t up to date on the last Game of Thrones Episode. You. Shop. At. IKEA.
Good news is, IKEA is not only a trailblazer when it comes to funky new eco-friendly initiatives, they also offer up some incredible plant-based food options. Try out these vegan offerings next time you find yourself visiting IKEA in need of an incomprehensibly-named storage solution or expensive-looking mass produced artwork!
- Veggie Dog—After spending endless hours painstakingly comparing throw pillows, who wouldn’t love IKEA’s plant-based take on the good ‘ol American classic hot dog? IKEA’s veggie dog is comprised of a yummy blend of kale, red lentils, quinoa, onions, carrots, ginger, and tumeric. Topped with pickled red cabbage for zing, roasted onions for a bit of sweetness, and spicy mustard for kick, it’s compact and easy to eat. (Order without the bun to be safe—buns vary by location and some contain eggs).
- Vegetable Balls—Also known as Grönsaksbullar, these may sound like a Harry Potter incantation, which is fitting because they certainly taste magical. Made with chickpeas, green peas, red pepper, corn, kale, and carrot, the vegetable balls are served alongside delightfully roasted cauliflower, sweet potato sauce, and steamed vegetables. All of this for 350 calories and under $5, it’s healthy AF and so budget friendly, you can splurge on that second plastic plant you had your eye on!
- Organic Pasta—Ask for the penne-shaped pasta with marinara sauce and no cheese and you’ve got yourself a deliciously well-balanced pasta plate! Looking to add a bit more protein? Ask for the veggie balls thrown in. We guarantee this dish is also kid approved!
- Seasonal Salad—For those whose body is a temple and the picture of health, order one of the made-to-order salads without cheese. As far as dressing goes, Newman’s Own has got your back with a choice of either the Balsamic Vinaigrette or Light Italian Dressing.
- French fries—Crispy and perfectly golden brown. A classic.
- Fruit cup—Get those vitamins!
- Moroccan lentil soup—Packed with protein, flavored with a savory harissa.
- Rye and multigrain crisps—Perfect for dipping into the moroccan lentil soup.
- Red seaweed pearls (Sjörapport)—Vegan caviar… what!? Made with kelp seaweed, these little pearls of goodness have got you feeling fancy without the cruelty!
- Cookies (Kafferep)—Crispy, crunchy, vegan-buttery biscuit box with assorted flavors! With an array of almonds, oat biscuits, ginger thins and raspberry filled, who needs Girl Scout cookies?
- Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips—These may have cream in the name, but these vegan chips have tons of salty and onion-y flavor, perfect accompaniment for a vegan sandwich. And that sour cream is totally fake!
- Dried Berry Cereal—Your new breakfast bff made with oats, wheat, seeds, berries, and cornflakes. Pour your favorite nut milk over, add some fresh fruit, and you are one balanced breaky badass!
- Oat Smoothies (Munsbit)—An entire line of oat smoothies. With flavors galore like apple pear, black currant, and blueberry, who can choose just one?
More from VegOut
11 Sustainable Swimwear Brands for Summer 2021
If you want to stunt a trendy, sustainably made swimsuit this season, check out these brands! With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, who wouldn’t love to cool off with a dip in the pool, a trip to the beach, or even a pass on your kids slip-n-slide? If you’re partaking in any of these refreshing water activities, you’ll most likely want a bathing suit. And if you’re anything like us, you want to wear items that are eco-friendly and made by brands that treat their employees well. Here’s a list of our favorite swimsuit companies that fit the bill.
Devi’s Donuts Opens Brick-and-Mortar in Long Beach
Devi’s Donuts, an all-vegan Long Beach pop-up, establishes a brick-and-mortar!
Venice’s Adrift Burger Bar Adds Vegan Burger to Menu This Earth Day
Sun’s out, buns out! No, silly, not those buns! Burger buns!
10 Vegan Fast Food Breakfasts to Eat On the Go or Recreate at Home
Whether you’re commuting to the office, working from home, or looking for weekend brekkie inspo, we’ve got you. From drive-thru snags and restaurant go-to’s to home-cooked breakfast faves, here are your on-the-go ordering deets and DIY swaps for the most important meal of the day.
6 South Asian-Owned Vegan and Vegan-Friendly Restaurants Across America
It can be difficult to find amazing, all-vegan South Asian dishes. Whether you’re craving a flavorful chana masala or a heavenly spicy curry, VegOut has you covered, so you can enjoy the vibrance of South Asian cuisine without the traditional dairy-heavy ingredients. Here are our picks for some of the best South Asian-owned vegan restaurants across the nation.
Nostalgic Vegan Candy Bars Launch at Alfred Coffee for a Limited Time
Huge flavor in a perfectly portioned package, the NY-based Gigantic “sortasweet” candy bars are making a splash in Los Angeles as the brand arrives at Alfred locations for a limited time!
Celeb-Backed Vegan Bacon Startup Gears up for Nationwide Launch
Coming soon to grocery shelves near you, a new plant-based bacon backed by organic food leaders and none other than Robert Downey Jr. is set to hit the mass retail market in 2021.
Online Vegan Grocery Store Vejii Acquires Vegan Essentials
Virtual vegan market, Vejii, recently signed a definitive agreement to acquire Vegan Essentials, one of the largest vegan marketplaces in the United States.
7 Best Vegan Frozen Burritos
Perfect for both on-the-go and on-the-couch mealtimes, hearty vegan burritos are the vibe. With yummy plant-based filling tightly wrapped in tortillas, what’s not to love? In fact, we adore these handhelds at all of our meals—breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. Check out seven vegan burritos brands to enjoy whenever the mood strikes.
Brockhampton and Monty’s Good Burger Vegan Glitter Shake Collab Drops Today
In anticipation of Brockhampton’s new album, “ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE,” the hip-hop boy band partnered with vegan burger chain Monty’s Good Burger to create two limited-edition shakes and a capsule collection of apparel. The four-piece merchandise line combines Brockhampton’s new album artwork with Monty’s classic royal blue aesthetic. Look for the new hoodie, joggers, long-sleeve tee, and beanie.
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!